Video Files on Forum ×

Is my Tone Variation button broken?

CarbonLifeForm

Hi, just received my CT-S1 on Friday and I’ve really been liking it. A lot. 

I am having an issue with the Tone Variation button not acting as I’d expect it to and was wondering if others are seeing what I’m seeing. 

My expectation from reading the manual and watching videos is that when you select a tone category like Piano or Organ and then click the Tone Variation button that it will step you through the five available variations for each category from left to right, then start over at the first variation. I’m thinking it should just step through the five variations and start over while staying in the same tone category (Piano, Organ, etc.)

What my keyboard is doing, however, is skipping to different tone category altogether. For example, when I select a category like Piano or Organ and press the Tone Variation button to select a different Piano or Organ, sometimes it switches to a different category altogether, like E. Piano or Synth. I don’t want to change the category but pressing the Tone Variation button will change the category. It’s totally random but it makes navigating through the tones a pain. 

Sometimes I’ll want the Vintage piano so I’ll select Piano and tap the Tone Variation button, but before I can get to the Vintage piano, I’ll get bounced to a different category like E. Piano and I have to go back and select Piano again and maybe or maybe not the Tone Variation button will get me to the Vintage tone. Like I said it’s totally random. 

Is anyone else seeing this?

I checked out a CT-S1 on display at my local music store and it was even worse than my brand new board. Pressing the Tone Variation button on that one would often do nothing, just stay on the current tone, or it would select the variations from right to left, and left to right, without any rhyme or reason as to why. This model also did what mine is doing, changing the sound category altogether just by tapping the Tone Variation button. 

I hope this is a bug that can be fixed via a firmware update or sadly I am going to have to return it, which would be a huge bummer because I love what Casio is doing and I think they knocked it out of the park with the tones they put in this board. The whole package is brilliant. 

I’m happy to post a video of my issue if my explanation wasn’t clear.

Thanks, everyone. 

Are you saying the tone variation LED indicators are not responding to button presses of the tone variation button?  

Some notes:

In the CT-S1 user manual, you'll find a tone list on page EN-76.  In each main tone category, the chart shows 4 tone names in blue.  Each blue tone name shows which tone variation button it is assigned to.  

The "Tone memory" variation is assignable for each tone category.  You can save your favorite tone registrations with this (and other settings).  

"Advanced" tone variations can add additional layers according to how hard the keys are pressed or when a chord is played rather than single notes.  

All 61 tones can be accessed by holding the tone variation button and pressing any key.  

Thanks for your quick reply, Brad. 

The LEDs light up just fine but what will happen is, when pressing the Tone Variation button, the LEDs for Standard, Advance, Modern, etc. will mostly go in order from left to right, but will occasionally go right to left. 

More puzzling is sometimes just clicking the Tone Variation button will select a new Tone category altogether. Say I’m on E. Piano 1 and toggling between the tones in that bank, the Tone Variation button will change the category to a different one, like E. Piano 2, and that button’s LED will light up. 

I made a quick video and will try to upload it here.

Thanks, Matt