Video Files on Forum ×

Recording two layers from S1000V to two tracks on Logic Pro

Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

Any help on this please?

I want to connect a CASIO S1000V to Logic Pro on my DAW where the is S0000V as an 'external instrument' on LP. Then using MIDI simultaneously record two tones/sounds from the S1000V (when it is in layer mode) to two tracks on LP.

Something like this in parallel:

Instrument A on S1000V --> LP Track 1

Lyrics B on S1000V --> LP Track 2

To record and then play back via MIDI

From watching the demos this seems possible but I am not sure how to do it in terms of the MIDI settings. Do I need to set the MIDI settings on the LP? On the S1000V? Or both?

A simple example of what those settings might be would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

By default, upper 1 transmits on channel 1.  Upper 2 is channel 2.  Lower is channel 3.  Setup multiple  tracks to receive and record on those channels simultaneously.  If you want to record patch selection data to those tracks, be sure to start recording before selecting tones on the keyboard.  If you're using a layer or split, saving that as a registration is the easiest way.  Start recording and select the registration.  Splits and layers will be recorded.  

Thank you.

1. When I play the S1000V it will record to LP in real time, as it should. But when that piece of music that is played back from the S1000V, it will not record the MIDI data to LP. Why might that be the case?
  2. Aside from the above, I can use a Novation controller keyboard. Would that be a more effective way to record MIDI out of the S1000V into LP, edit it, then play it back?

Sorry for the dumb questions but my MIDI knowledge is quite basic, and the S1000V is far from intuitive (for me), so I am trying to figure out the best way to record music from the S1000V.

All help appreciated. Thanks!

6 hours ago, PeteM said:

But when that piece of music that is played back from the S1000V, it will not record the MIDI data to LP.

I'm not sure I understand this, it is not entirely clear.  Are you saying you're recording a song with the recorder built into the 1000V first, then playing back that song in hopes that Logic Pro will record the recording?  

13 hours ago, PeteM said:

1. When I play the S1000V it will record to LP in real time, as it should. But when that piece of music that is played back from the S1000V, it will not record the MIDI data to LP. Why might that be the case?

Check your MIDI routing for the tracks you are recording to in Logic Pro. In my DAW (Mixcraft Pro Studio), I have to arm the tracks to record and tell it what MIDI source to record (CASIO USB).

Once recorded, I then have to unarm that track, and also reroute it and tell it where to send the MIDI. It may default to Casio USB automatically dependingon your DAW. Reaper does this by giving you the option to "route to original MIDI source".

On 4/2/2023 at 2:00 AM, Brad Saucier said:

I'm not sure I understand this, it is not entirely clear.  Are you saying you're recording a song with the recorder built into the 1000V first, then playing back that song in hopes that Logic Pro will record the recording?  

Yes, which part of this is not possible? Or to put it the other way, what can be done?

• Solution
5 hours ago, PeteM said:

Yes, which part of this is not possible? Or to put it the other way, what can be done?

Is there a reason you are using the internal recorder as an intermediate step rather than directly record to logic?  

Once a song is recorded to the MIDI recorder on the 1000V, you can export the song to a USB flash drive as a standard MIDI file, then import that to logic. 

Note: Due to the MIDI file format, MIDI recorder songs will convert to SMF in two ways.  Excerpt from user manual below explains....

"When saving Multi-track Recording data as a standard MIDI file (SMF), only the system track data is saved if the system track contains data. If the system track does not contain any data, only the solo track data is saved."

• Thanks 1