Video Files on Forum ×

XWP-1 In its simplist form

So because like alot of you xw players out their including myself, tryin to figure out that machine of confusion?Ive been syntheisizing 40+yrs and know

casios very well from the cz-vz-fz-ctx but the XW ? Just to get it to play back what i did the nite before , well those days are over!

With the XWP editor im loading up all the tone memories and saying goodbye to multitimbral mode/step seq./performance.

Now its a dedicated single channel synth TONE solo/hex mode like Juno 60 Jupiter 6. Thats what im used to, designing epic patches and incorporate

into my songs, im not waisting time with an unfreindly O.S ...XWP-1 is now easier than ever.IMG_E4742.thumb.jpg.de0701e74c4088e6577ee40a6ccd305d.jpg 

• Like 1

Solo synth is a powerful voice--but I have little ingrained in  synth grooves  so far--too busy playing all the tones--slow learner here

Personally I ignore a lot of in depth programming also--but hex layers is nice for live quick  tone switching--

Also simple step sequencer rhythms are easy --their velocity setting  parameter on the drums is so much better than the drum machines I have known- punching buttons to add or subtract tones is toooo easy

To Me--The filing system on the XW is not that in depth once  I learned it's quirks--

However I myself also go where the music takes me and see nothing wrong  with  extended stay in solo synth land

I never use an app to call up changes on mine--I prefer stand alone editing --until I get it where I want it--I'm stubborn to a fault

Edited by Tom banjo
  • Like 1

Thank you, @AiXWman and @Tom banjo for your post/reply on this subject.

They inspired me to take out my XW-G1 and start experimenting. I was entertained all night.☺️

And - I am sure that there are many ways to approach e.g. sound programming  on the XW synths.

There are plenty of possibilities once you get going...

Jay 🎹

btw though I am quiet the novice I will put forth one thing--a big problem to me was making sure an edit was saved--On page 16 of the manual, they mention the exclamation mark--If you edit a tone or sequence -the XW will  show it as needs to be saved  by showing this mark  --once you save it there --if you also want it to become part of the current performance ----you will have to revert back to the performance mode   and if you have not gone to a new performance---- it too will  also---have an exclamation mark and need to be saved--If you switch to a different performance first --the XW will not save it and lose the mark  ----at this point---you will have to relocate the revised item  -----within the performance setting again and the exclamation mark will re appear--this time save it------same goes for arpeggios--    step sequences--mixer settings--Always back out the breadcrumb trail and look for the exclamation mark--

I never fooled much with some aspects of my  XWs so can;t say for sure--I don't think chains in the step sequencer are saved to a performance --but won't bet money on it--

the exclamation mark -the exclamation mark

Edited by Tom banjo
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 5:01 AM, Jay C said:

They inspired me to take out my XW-G1 and start experimenting. I was entertained all night.☺️

And - I am sure that there are many ways to approach e.g. sound programming  on the XW synths.

Jay 🎹

Absolutly sound programming is great on the XW its when we expect it to be a full on workstation , and sometimes song creation

comes to a complete hault

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2023 at 6:06 AM, Tom banjo said:

Solo synth is a powerful voice--but I have little ingrained in  synth grooves  so far--too busy playing all the tones--slow learner here

Personally I ignore a lot of in depth programming also--but hex layers is nice for live quick  tone switching--

Also simple step sequencer rhythms are easy --their velocity setting  parameter on the drums is so much better than the drum machines I have known- punching buttons to add or subtract tones is toooo easy

To Me--The filing system on the XW is not that in depth once  I learned it's quirks--

However I myself also go where the music takes me and see nothing wrong  with  extended stay in solo synth land

I never use an app to call up changes on mine--I prefer stand alone editing --until I get it where I want it--I'm stubborn to a fault

And thats a very cool approch  hands on im on your team...

On 4/25/2023 at 5:01 AM, Jay C said:

Jay 🎹

Glad we can start some fire jay  find it and build that city.

• Thanks 1