Video Files on Forum ×

Celviano AP-470 some keys sound out of harmony.

Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

Recently, I purchased a Celviano AP-470 digital piano and noticed that some keys sound out of tune compared to the others. Specifically, the note E5 has such a distinct harmony from the neighboring keys that it hampers my practice. As a beginner-level student, at first, I thought it might be an issue with my perception, but I sent a recording to my teacher who also found the sound strange.

In the following example, I emphasized the note E5 quite a bit, as it is one of the ones that causes me the most unease when playing.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LpYR02qMQRBgH0kTJYTntygZ5XwJxJP1/view?usp=drive_link

In this other example, the out-of-tune note becomes even more apparent (I apologize for the offbeat music, I'm a beginner and still have a lot to practice).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hsbg_aEjR4SqFTmHDlnoJSTZ7CeML0LO/view?usp=drive_link

I have already performed a factory reset, but it remained the same.

Thank you for your assistance!

• Solution

Welcome to the forums!  Congratulations on your new Casio! 

I listened to the samples.  Your Casio is performing as designed.  I hear nothing unusual.  The default tuning temperament is "equal".  You can select from other preset temperaments based on classical tunings.  Equal tuning is most common in music today.  You may want to research equal temperament tuning discussions on the internet, and how it's "perfectly imperfect".  It's very interesting stuff.   

Brad, thank you for the video. The sound is indeed quite similar. I remember an old boss who used to say, "It's not enough to be, you have to appear!" The tuning is correct, but when I play simple songs from Suzuki Method's book 1, the notes E5 and E5b sound very strange to me and to those I invited to listen. I even went to a musical instrument store in my town and played another piano of the same model as mine, and I confirmed that it's indeed the sound of the piano's sample, not an issue with my piano itself.

I challenge anyone to play "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" or any simple song from the Suzuki book using headphones and think it sounds normal. It might be technically correct, but it doesn't sound right. This situation bothers me so much that I have decided to put the piano up for sale.