Video Files on Forum ×

Using MidiKey2Key & PX560 Pedals to control PDF reader page turns

Tsquare

I'm using a old Surface 3 Windows (10) to display PDF sheet music and use 2 of the pedals on the SP-33 pedal unit to page up & down as I'm playing.  I'm using free program called MidiKey2Key https://midikey2key.de/download.php to receive CC midi info from the PX560 and turn those into PC commands.  In my case, page up (sustenuto), page down (una corda), and full screen (note C9).  I didn't want to buy the expensive PageFlip Butterfly unit, nor did I want extra clutter at my feet.  This solution works very well.   https://youtu.be/CcyU8aUKBWU

Butterfly.jpg.aae3eb0fcee850e6f7554eabb9000d0f.jpgsp33_1.jpg.f1e2db4e0c79a9feed7619b3ec73854d.jpg

Edited by Tsquare
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! I wonder if you could try something else to go full screen, another button which doesn't cause any sound, like Tempo Up (I have no experience with MIDI signaling).

Are you using the left pedal to go right just because it's easier to press and that's the most common page movement? Because of course it would make sense to use left pedal for left and right (middle) for right. 😜

The only controls that I have found on top of the PX560 that send CC midi messages (with Midikey2key "listening" and "logging" the results) are the (3) assignable knobs, pitch & modulation wheels.  All the other buttons are proprietary to Casio.  My best choice (i.e. least used while playing) for full screen was C9.  The note playing C9 sound isn't an issue since I go to full screen before I start playing the score.   

And I wonder... isn't maybe just as simple to directly touch the tablet's screen to go full screen? 😅 If you are playing in front of an audience you would need to mute the keyboard if you use C9 instead.

AFAIK Acrobat Reader by default doesn't have the full screen button on its toolbar, but you can add and remove buttons as needed.