Video Files on Forum ×

How to match Midi input to the sound that is selected in the keyboard?

Da.vid
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

Hi, is there a way to match the sound of Midi input to the sound that I selected from the keyboard panel?   I connect the keyboard to computer via USB and edit some notes with the computer, and configured Midi out to the keyboard,  I can play directly on the keyboard and also I can play from the computer, both will generate sound from the keyboard built in speakers.  What I want is that when I switch a sound on the keyboard, like from piano to strings, I hope that when I play Midi from the computer to the keyboard, the sound will also be switched to strings.  How do I do it?  (I use a casio LK-280 but I think the setting required would be similar to most keyboard with Midi)  Thank you!

• Solution

MIDI input needs to receive a bank and program change message (also known as patch select data) in order to know which tone to use for playback.  The keyboard sends this patch select data over MIDI each time you select a tone on the keyboard itself.  If you are recording your own MIDI tracks, perhaps the easiest way to record this data is to simply start recordings before selecting the tone you want.  If you are playing MIDI tracks that are already recorded, but have missing or unwanted patch select data, you'll need to edit the track data.   In addition to the keyboard sending patch data each time a tone is selected on the keyboard, Casio provides a chart in the appendix for most models which lists the bank and program change necessary to select each tone.  This can be used to manually input the data with editing software.  

LK-280 manuals are found here...

https://www.casio.com/intl/support/electronic-musical-instruments/manual/?model=LK-280

Thank you. I think I get the idea. Therefore, if I want the MIDI input of the keyboard to follow the selection of the keyboard itself, I need to first let the computer receive the bank and program change message from the keyboard when I select a tone on the keyboard itself, and then I let the computer send the same message back to the keyboard.  ( basically the keyboard would not internally link these 2 settings, so the computer relay the message back)  I will try this when I get home.