Video Files on Forum ×

Anyone know if the Casio SK-5 sampling keyboard can be connected to a pc and used as a midi keyboard?

ttt

I'm trying to digitize all the demo songs on the SK-5 and I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm thinking I should use a 3.5mm jack to USB cord, (output jack to laptop) but I'm not 100% sure. I would love if someone could explain.

Edit: Forgot to mention - none of the SK Casios have MIDI. MIDI can be retrofitted via 3rd party kits, but you would need to have electrical knowledge and soldering skills to fit them.

The SK series outputs analogue audio via a 3.5mm jack socket. To record this audio into a PC/ computer, you need to connect the other end into an audio interface that can receive analogue audio signals and convert them to digital.

USB is for digital data only, you cannot use it to send/ receive analogue audio. Devices that can send audio over USB convert the audio to digital before sending it. The SK series predates the USB protocol by many years.

Older laptops sometimes have a 3.5mm mic input socket. If yours has one, then you could try connecting your SK to it, though the quality may not be good as they are generally meant for use with a simple condenser microphone.

The best way would be to get hold of a basic USB audio interface. These will allow you to connect any analogue signal to it, and they will then do the digital conversion that can be read/ recorded by your computer. When I want to quickly record something into my laptop, I use a Behringer UCA222 (see below). For my desktop workstation, I use a 4 input Behringer UMC404HD.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-Control-UCA222-Ultra-Low-Interface/dp/B0023BYDHK/ref=asc_df_B0023BYDHK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312199306469&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5034747117081698409&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012280&hvtargid=pla-343899257420&psc=1

Edited by Chas
  • Like 1

The 3.5mm mic jack on my laptop indicates it's only a mic jack, but the audio control panel allows repurposing the jack as a stereo line input, which works well.  Audio control panel may also have some other settings which needs adjustment to optimize sound quality, like disabling any "enhancement" processing and adjusting gains.  I've had good luck with the three computers I have doing this.  

• Like 1