Video Files on Forum ×

Casio SK8 versus casio SK5

Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a SK8 off of ebay it was between that and ask a 5 my main desire is to use most of the drum pads to sample some you know gritty  Drums et cetera. I read in a couple places I believe that the SK8 possibly has a less advanced or less complicated sequencing ability than the SK5. If this is the case *what is the case?*, would that hopefully minor; relative  Limitation be a huge game changer in terms of what i'd be able to sample some  Drums maybe a baseline or something to scratch over something of that  Nature  Like I have seen people do with the SK5 in various YouTube videos for example? I am somewhat hell bent on choosing the ski due to its appearance and it being less common for the most part. Any feedback, info, thoughts or what have you would be interesting and helpful to me in regards to direction, as I am pretty green when it comes to these sorts of things :) Thanks!

Chris W

Yes also how straightforward am I gonna find it to sequence said samples of drums and hopefully some other samples?

Edited by winniethawho

• 4 weeks later...

Also the rom differs between SK-8 and SK-5, hence it has a different set of sounds and rhythms.

Casio SK-8:

8 OBS preset sounds {piano, vibraphone, guitar, pipe organ, trumpet, violin, flute, clarinet}

10 OBS rhythms {rock, disco, swing 2beat, swing 4beat, samba, bossa nova, beguine, march, slow rock, waltz}

Casio SK-5:

different main features:

neither ROM-Pack slot nor key lighting

different preset sounds {piano, vibraphone, dog, surf, trumpet, pipe organ, chorus, flute}

different preset rhythms {rock 1..2, disco 1..2, 16 beat, march, bossa nova, samba, slow rock, waltz}

4 additional drum/ effect pads {lion, laser gun, hi bongo, low bongo}

7 demos (complex polyphonic arrangements)

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/27/2023 at 11:17 PM, CYBERYOGI =CO=Windler said:

Also the rom differs between SK-8 and SK-5, hence it has a different set of sounds and rhythms.

Casio SK-8:

8 OBS preset sounds {piano, vibraphone, guitar, pipe organ, trumpet, violin, flute, clarinet}

10 OBS rhythms {rock, disco, swing 2beat, swing 4beat, samba, bossa nova, beguine, march, slow rock, waltz}

Casio SK-5:

different main features:

neither ROM-Pack slot nor key lighting

different preset sounds {piano, vibraphone, dog, surf, trumpet, pipe organ, chorus, flute}

different preset rhythms {rock 1..2, disco 1..2, 16 beat, march, bossa nova, samba, slow rock, waltz}

4 additional drum/ effect pads {lion, laser gun, hi bongo, low bongo}

7 demos (complex polyphonic arrangements)

This is a pretty neat comparison.