Video Files on Forum ×

Wild idea for a keyboard controller keybed type.

XW-Addict

I was looking at all those new keyboards/controllers and it got me pondering. 

Most keyboards are made to play either realistic getting that authentic feel

or built for special modulation. But what if a keyboard can sense where the hand

gonna hit a note or chord? and do something remarkable? 

This idea is actually towards arrangers, Imagine a band is playing a song 

live, and every band member each their own instrument drums, bass, guitar, keyboard.

Now a live play doesn't necessarily mean they play the song like on the album there 

are some variations. What I notice sometimes during a song to hype things up the band play

for example an up-tempo variation of totally different notes still in key based on the queue

of a singer or player.  it can be any of the instruments maybe the drummer freestyles a groove for 

the others to follow, maybe the bass player.

What if such a thing can be done on an arranger you hit the fill-in and a moment later 

instead of the picked variation style, it breaks totally differently with the bass or keyboard.

Moments after the fill-in was pressed the change happened with this specific instrument.

This is how it works, A special sensor near each key on the keyboard controller can sense 

where each finger position would possibly press a key, Meaning it can track the hand

position and trigger a change before the fingers actually touch the surface,

and do something until the keyboard gets actually pressed fully. 

Something of a smart program can arrange and orchestrate a layer that initiates the specific notes.

Notes could be played in eighths, or glissando, or play in a totally different style than it would 

with the actual fill-in. This function of the sensor can decide to hit that instrument separately beforehand 

and guide it in key according to the chords being played. In which it follows the flow of the 

arrangement as normal exactly how a live band would. 

This doesn't even have to be a fill-in it could be near the end of a song or mid-song. 

In a crazy way, it doesn't have to be an arranger-specific function that triggers a note 

it could be an LFO or arpeggio or some filter or an effect anything. A complete sensing 

smart live host. 

Wild idea isn't it,  What do you think it hit me while jamming out. 

• Like 2

XW-you might want to take a look at this, the Seaboard Roli keyboard, not exactly what you are describing, but close. Pretty costly though. Keyboard guru and friend RobEOne demoed it on Facebook, where I learned about it.

https://roli.com/products/seaboard/rise2

Also am thinking of the Korg M3 with its advanced system of creating random accompaniment variations using the KARMA functions built into that-first used in the Korg Karma keyboard. 

Maybe a combination of both of these, a ROLI touch-sensitive key model combined with some kind of KARMA functions coming out of the Korg, which can be had as a separate module, which I've done. Add a theremin or 2, might give you what you want.

KARMA is very deep, complex but can produce pretty interesting arrangement variations, almost reminiscent of the earliest algorithmic software programs I used to experiment around with many years ago, where one would plug in a few variables for a composition and let the computer compose something. Back then, the results were pretty....dull and not very musical. KARMA is way more musical, at least from my limited experiments with it and the M3, but an engineering degree to use it helps!!!!! Add a Roli to an M3 module, whew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

К сожалению, фантазия человеческая всегда намного! опережает технический прогресс человечества. Аналогичные мысли по оранжировке наверняка присущи каждому  музыканту.

• Like 1

Einstein said..."Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." I think this is why I always like creating music, it requires  imagination. An extremely complex difficult musical passage can still not sound like much, unless a human puts some energy and imagination in how to play it. And some of the most beautiful music is the simplest. Always good to hear from you Hant.

Эйнштейн говорил... "Воображение важнее знания. Ибо знание ограничено, тогда как воображение охватывает весь мир, стимулируя прогресс, порождая эволюцию". Думаю, именно поэтому мне всегда нравится создавать музыку: это требует воображения. Чрезвычайно сложный и трудный музыкальный отрывок все равно не может звучать так хорошо, если человек не вложит немного энергии и воображения в то, как его сыграть. И некоторые из самых красивых музыкальных произведений являются самыми простыми. Всегда приятно слышать тебя, Хант.

12 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

XW-you might want to take a look at this, the Seaboard Roli keyboard, not exactly what you are describing, but close. Pretty costly though. Keyboard guru and friend RobEOne demoed it on Facebook, where I learned about it.

https://roli.com/products/seaboard/rise2

Also am thinking of the Korg M3 with its advanced system of creating random accompaniment variations using the KARMA functions built into that-first used in the Korg Karma keyboard. 

Maybe a combination of both of these, a ROLI touch-sensitive key model combined with some kind of KARMA functions coming out of the Korg, which can be had as a separate module, which I've done. Add a theremin or 2, might give you what you want.

KARMA is very deep, complex but can produce pretty interesting arrangement variations, almost reminiscent of the earliest algorithmic software programs I used to experiment around with many years ago, where one would plug in a few variables for a composition and let the computer compose something. Back then, the results were pretty....dull and not very musical. KARMA is way more musical, at least from my limited experiments with it and the M3, but an engineering degree to use it helps!!!!! Add a Roli to an M3 module, whew.

I've deliberately left those out as a reference because there are so many new ways of generative music-making 

it's mind-boggling. Also, MPE keyboard controller I've also left out because those are more like modulators. 

What I mean is I have an innovative concept for a keyboard that can predict the notes or chords a musician intends to play well before they press the keys. Think of it as a keyboard with advanced hand-tracking and finger-position sensing technology. It anticipates your movements and musical intentions, much like a wireless laser printer that 'prints' the keys onto the keyboard in real-time based on where your fingers are heading. This predictive capability allows the keyboard to initiate musical changes in real time, enhancing the creative flow and generating music in new, exciting ways. It's like having a musical collaborator who understands your thoughts and intentions before you even play the keys.

Basically, you getting a live solo player way ahead of the intent of your playing style but still plays in key according to the arrangement or function.

7 hours ago, hant7 said:

К сожалению, фантазия человеческая всегда намного! опережает технический прогресс человечества. Аналогичные мысли по оранжировке наверняка присущи каждому  музыканту.

Wish I was a musical genius LOL - Khotel by ya byt' muzykal'nym geniyem LOL