Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 as MIDI controller with Korg M3

Jokeyman123

Just configured something others may find useful. Since I've recently restored an old Korg M3 module (no keyboard) I was curious as to how the PX560 auto-arrangements might sound if i could play these using the M3 as a tone module, and it works perfectly. Was not so much impressed with the difference in sound quality-these both sound almost even-but then I had to configure the Korg with a a programmed "combi" and set it up to receive GM standard tones, very easy with the M3-as it is designed to play midi files also. The extra treat-by making sure I had cc and sysex turned on with the M3 receive mode-and PX560 set to send out midi accompaniment data-I discovered that all the PX560 mixer settings controlled the Korg M3 combi settings, very useful for changing dynamic levels, pan, did not try efx send levels as the M3 has a pretty complex routing system for 5 different efx that can be used in a wild combination of ways. Didn't have time to check, but I'm guessing by setting up  reasonably close effects in the M3 based on what can be set for PX560 effects settings for the accompaniments, it probably will also work, at least for send levels. Nice to be able to control the M3 like this, even with its large touchscreen, I still find the color screen on the 560 easier to work with.

One other neat trick-the #1 PX560 control knob also turns the Leslie speed from fast to slow-I have to see what cc message it is sending, as I can't even do that with the M3 on its own, without its dedicated keyboard!

So...bottom line, the PX560 can act as a midi controller. Very nice.

rfully enough

Edited by Jokeyman123