Video Files on Forum ×

(NEED HELP) Casiotone MT-30

Shakaboyd

So, I got Casiotone MT-30 keyboard but I got a problem. After cleaning up all the parts and test all the features. There's "Tone Memory" feature that can save up to 4 different presets so you can set a specific preset to the memory (find out how this feature works on Youtube). But, this feature doesn't works properly. When I slide to "Set" mode and try to set for Tone Memory, the sound bank doesn't saved to the memory.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

My CT403 has a similar feature and it probably works the same way as the MT30

IIRC, you set the 4 memories by doing the following:

Move the tone memory switch to the number you want to set.

Then move the play/ set button to the "set" position. You might need to have it at "play" first and then move it to "set" to make this feature work. 

Now select the tone you want to store into the memory slot via the keyboard. Hold the key down until you hear a brief preview of the selected sound. 

Move the set/ play button back to play. Now when you press one of the 4 memory buttons, it should automatically recall your saved tone selection. 

Do bear in mind that if the MT30 is similar to some other Casios with this feature, it does not retain this memory when you switch off the keyboard (any stored tone memories will be erased).

gii5ls6y0wvlqhmjuvze.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/17/2023 at 5:04 AM, Chas said:

My CT403 has a similar feature and it probably works the same way as the MT30

IIRC, you set the 4 memories by doing the following:

Move the tone memory switch to the number you want to set.

Then move the play/ set button to the "set" position. You might need to have it at "play" first and then move it to "set" to make this feature work. 

Now select the tone you want to store into the memory slot via the keyboard. Hold the key down until you hear a brief preview of the selected sound. 

Move the set/ play button back to play. Now when you press one of the 4 memory buttons, it should automatically recall your saved tone selection. 

Do bear in mind that if the MT30 is similar to some other Casios with this feature, it does not retain this memory when you switch off the keyboard (any stored tone memories will be erased).

gii5ls6y0wvlqhmjuvze.jpg

I knew how to set it up. the problem is the feature doesn't work at all. I mean do you know a specific part inside that has to repair to make it works again?

Also, when I screw the ground-wire, the sounds of the keyboard doesn't works, and when I take the ground-wire off from the position (detached), the sounds of the keyboard is back. And I found this part is different compared to the original one.

This is mine:
Whats-App-Image-2024-03-19-at-00-46-47-5ff83319.jpg

This is the original part:
Whats-App-Image-2024-03-19-at-00-46-48-4

Do you think I can found that fatter part on market? if yes, what is this part names?

10 hours ago, pianokeyjoe said:

2200 microfarad 16V electrolytic capacitor is what you need..

Ok, thanks. I'll buy it for replacement part. Still wondering how to make  Tone Memory feature works again.

On 3/19/2024 at 7:42 AM, Shakaboyd said:

Ok, thanks. I'll buy it for replacement part. Still wondering how to make  Tone Memory feature works again.

Before investigating how to make the Tone Memory feature work again, it would be more logical to ensure that the circuit is fitted with the correct components. In that earlier picture you posted, someone has replaced a capacitor for one with an incorrect rating (the correct rating is shown printed on  the PCB). That could cause all sorts of problems/ faults elsewhere, and also begs the question as to why the capacitor was replaced in the first place, and why an incorrect capacitor was fitted. Also worth bearing in mind that a lot of very early Casios/ Casiotones didn't have battery backed memory, with the memory only being retained while the unit was switched on. Quite often that volatile temporary memory was retained by the charge stored in a capacitor(s), and as your unit has a smaller value capacitor fitted, who knows if that might be the issue? 

Replace that capacitor for one with the correct rating, and double check the rest of the circuit board to see if anything else has been replaced. Then see if the Tone Memory feature starts working again. 

I guess it only would hum or increase other noises (keyboard matrix beep etc.) if 1000 instead of 2200uF was used. I can not imagine that this disables tone memory. If it was nF instead of uF it might have been possible, but the difference is not extreme enough to make it fail completely. This is not a supercap that holds enough charge to power a chip for days, any these old ones even ran warm and are nothing that runs on a few microamps.