Video Files on Forum ×

Why doesn't Casio release a CZ to capitalize on the vintage synth craze?

mickkb

Synth enthusiasts, myself included, have been calling out for years for Casio to give us a modern reincarnation of the classic CZ series. Sadly, other than including CZ "waveforms" in a few of their more recent keyboards, Casio doesn't seem to want to bring back their wonderful Phase Distortion synths.

There is also a saying that if you don't give the public what they want, someone else will. That someone else might be Behringer, who have teased us a desktop module CZ synth with new features. Casio should be doing this and capitalizing on their history and legacy in my opinion. Maybe one day...

https://www.facebook.com/Behringer/posts/pfbid0z1ifpKUK3yBjSgKPo9LCDpKdQn4gM2WMmCrU358rCKybDfWJm7o1iUuKWTawWrzul

• Like 1

Very, very good question. As a Phase Distortion Synthesis fan myself I'd love to see this. And with modern technology, it would be possible to make it much more flexible- the original implementation was limited by the digital circuits that could be run on a chip fabricated at that time, it's all counters and look-up tables if you look at the patents. I've written a plug-in (not released yet) that has my take on a more flexible PD synthesis with real time control, variable "resonance" etc. I'd love to see Casio release a new CZ.

• Like 2

The original CZ-101 and CZ-1 technology is fully understood and even found its way into MAME to emulate the inner working. So it would be time for Casio to build a modern remake with more features and perhaps a variant of the original engine with higher parameter resolution and perhaps control knobs and waveform display etc.

I would be more interested in a classic SA-series remake with access to all internal sound parameters (important: without depending on any shortlived app crap and bluetooth radiation) and USB jack (midi and possibly USB stick support). IMO it should become a small but not excessively cheapish keyboard similar like Yamaha PSS-A50, so e.g. velocity sensitive midsize keys would be nice.

• Like 1