Video Files on Forum ×

master effect question (opt out per instrument?)

Hi all.

I'm currently shoe-gazing the ct-s1000v, as it seems to tick crazy amount of boxes.

For some reason it seems to win from many (overpriced?) synths which are:

* not multitimbral
* have no/shallow support for midi's CC (no attack/decay/sustain/release e.g.)
* dont have a rompler library with bread and butter sounds (I don't dislike analog synths but sometimes they're a bit limited compared to romplers)

My questions are the following:

* does the master effects contain a limiter or compressor

* does it have a dry/wet slider

* can an instrument bypass the master effect (basically 100% dry)

This would allow 2 output buses (getting mixed to stereo out)..which is really awesome from an all-in-one studio/production point of view.

I know each instrument can have its own DSP (quite a lot to be honest, very impressive) but my question is more about if an instrument can opt out of master effect.

Another question is: what are the recording options?

Do you need a laptop or usbstick to record different audio channels (simultaniously?) or is it mixed to a stereo stream?

Edited by sqz

• sqz changed the title to master effect question (opt out per instrument?)

EQ is the only master effect. "Standard" is the default setting, which I would consider to be the "off" setting.  Since it's a master effect, it applies to the main stereo output.  It's not an effect for individual parts.  Insert effects called Active DSP is available for individual parts.  

The sound engine is mixed and output as an analog stereo signal.  It's not possible to record individual keyboard parts as different audio channels simultaneously outside of what's possible with the analog stereo output.  

Posted (edited)

thank you for your answer.

So the effects are basically buses to which instruments can opt-in/out of?

Could you, for instance send 2 instruments to the same compressor or reverb DSP (so they will be processed as a group once by the DSP?).

Or do they get each their separate DSP processing..(I would prefer the grouping)..

Sorry english is not my native language..is it like the following?

instr 1   --------------+
                        |                                
                      [ dsp: compress ]------[masterfx: standard/eq]---> master
                        |                                
instr 2   --------------+

or like this:

instr 1   ------------+
                      |                               
                      [ dsp: compress ]---------+
                                                |
                      [ dsp: compress ]------[masterfx: standard/eq]---> master
                      |                              
instr 2   ------------+

Edited by sqz

System Effects:  This is a collection of 3 effects generators.  All parts can share these effects.  These are reverb, chorus and delay.  Each part in the CT-S1000V has 3 adjustable system effects sends.  These allow a customized mix to be sent to each effect generator.  

Active DSP is only for individual parts.  A single DSP effect can't be shared with another part.  Maximum of 2 upper or lower keyboard parts can run an active DSP effect at the same time.  

Posted (edited)

Awesome.

So it's basically a 16-ch multitimbral studiomixer with 3 shared effect-send buses (reverb,chorus,delay).

And then there's still an Active DSP (a compressor/limiter) which you could put on a drumkit e.g.
I've read that the Active DSP can be used over midi-in via midi port A with the new firmware?

So is it like the first 5 midichannels on midiport A to enjoy Active DSP..and the other midichannels (6-16) not?

And all this is finally being fed into a master EQ effect before being sent to the stereo output.

Quite beefy for this pricerange.

Edited by sqz

• 2 weeks later...

first 3 channels are the 3 main keyboard performance, and channel 4-16 can be adressed over the same MIDI port A as well?

The answer to it will tell me whether a single bluetooth MIDI client would work 16channel multitimbrally (simply by just opening MIDI port A)  including the keyboard performance parts.

Btw. Your answers are highly appreciated, thanks!

Edited by sqz