Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S piano sound compared to PX-350

blaster-b

I'm trying to make a purchase decision between the PX-350 and the PX-5S.

I'm mostly looking for a great piano sound (that the 350 has), but am excited about the PX-5S. Not very much more money for better Rhodes & Wurly sounds, effects, and more controllers.

However, I'm not quite sure what piano features I'd be missing by going with the PX-5S.

Does anyone know how the piano experience is different? (Are they identical?)

I think the PX-5S doesn't support half pedalling, but are there any other differences in sound, features, keyboard feel, etc.?

Thanks for your input!

Keyboard mechanism is identical.

Piano sounds are different. Whether or not the core samples are the same (and I think they're different, but I'm not 100% on that), the PX-5S is programmable. This allows sound design geniuses like Mike Martin to come up with many variations on the pianos (acoustic and electric) that you should be able to find or tweak one that suits your needs. Just check out the Downloads section here for some examples of the variations. At some point, there will probably be demos posted of comparisons.

While the PX-350 and PX-5S do have the sample piano sample, they don't have the same "piano sound".   The PX-5S has a different effects engine which sonically is a different league.  This is a 4 band EQ which the PX-350 does not have.  The PX-5S can reproduce sympathetic resonance and lid simulation effects which the PX-350 can not.  It also has release velocity which changes the legato, staccato response of the sound. So while the starting point is the same, what the PX-5S does with it is different.

All of this plus the editable and downloadable variations on the PX-5S

• Like 1