Video Files on Forum ×

Casio PX-5S + Kurzweil PC3K6 (via MIDI)

BeowulfX

I would just like to ask if the PX-5S can also control 4 zones in the Kurzweil PC3K6?

Contemplated setup via MIDI:

PX-5S Zone 1: to control Zone 1 in PC3K6 (full 88-key range)

PX-5S Zone 2: to control Zone 2 in PC3K6 Strings (assigned/configured to 1st 3 octaves of Kurz)

PX-5S Zone 3: to control Zone 3 in PC3K6 Guitar (configured to upper 2 octaves of Kurz)

PX-5S Zone 4: Using Knobs 1 to 4 to control Zone 4 in PC3K6 Synth sound (for LFO, Reso etc.)

Assuming that each PX-5S zone transmits through the same corresponding MIDI channel per zone in the PC3K6, would this setup be "doable." 

Can the 4 knobs on the PX-5S control the a particular synth-sound parameters assigned to the sliders/faders of the Kurz PC3K6?

Thanks for any info/reply.

• Like 1

The Zone controlling is no problem - that's what the PX-5S meant to do.

The knobs send CC info via MIDI so as long as the Kurz parameters can be edited this way it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this answers you questions. Some of the other more advances users might have more insight for you as well.

Afaik, this should work seamless. PC3 can be controlled via Midi and PX5 can control Midi in almost every aspect. With almost I mean that CC numbers above 100 can cause some problems. Have read this somewhere on the iNet but dont remember where exactly.

OT: I am aiming to replace my bottom board ( Kurz SP4= PC3 engine) with the PX5 . Coult not Warm up with the PC3 AP sounds at all, was playing Studio Grand and Pro Piano all the time but never connected to it. Also EPs are way beyond my taste as there is not a single clean one, its all distorted, DSPd and otherwise deformed. Playing in bands with 2+ dist guitars does not allow more dirty amped keyboard sound on top of it.

So as you can compare both devices, side by side, how do you compare APs and EPs against ea. other?

@ Mike and Scott: Thanks for the info/clarifications! I've been holding out lately trying to await further reviews of the PX-5S and would most probably be pulling the trigger in ordering the PX-5S soon enough. I just wanted to make sure that it can work with either the PC361 or PC3K6 (as 2nd-tier board).

I checked the manual of the PC3/K and finally found the section on using an external MIDI controller for the PC3/K (Chapter 10-9 if I recall correctly).

@ SwissMac: I'm not going to rely too much on the PC3's piano sounds as I think the current Privia's pianos are quite decent - In this particular contemplated setup, the PX-5S will be doing the piano part, splits, some EPs and phrases. The PC3/K on the other hand, will  serve my needs for orchestral/string sounds, some pads and of course the KB3 sounds given the 9-sliders of the Kurz should be decent/workable. I'll probably be adding the Kore 64 expansion just to have additional sonic palette.

As for the synth part, it's use will largely depend upon the song being covered. With the synth capabilities of the PX-5S and that of the Kurz PC3/K, I think these boards can actually complement each other - especially given that the common complaint hurled at Kurz is the recycling of their piano samples/sounds.

(Of course, there's the upcoming Kurzweil Artis, but carrying around two 88-key weighted boards won't really be "portable" anymore and I don't even know if the Artis will be released sometime Q3 of 2013 and if Kurz will provide competitive pricing for its upcoming flagship).

The PX-5S + PC3K6 may be the right combo for me but then again there's the pricier Kronos 61...hmmm.