Video Files on Forum ×

Layers? Can't figure out how to get more than 4

Rayman33952

I Can not figure out how to create layers either by using the editor or from the keyboard

I figured out that you can put one tone per zone but I thought this keyboard could layer up to 16 or more sounds ?

Something is wrong with my zone 3 - It wants to split the keyboard no matter what tone I assignt to the zone either from the keyboard or from editor ? The original sound from the factory is a Bass tone.

Can some one tell me ?

Thanks

Hi Rayman - you need to set zone 1 and 2 to be hexlayers instead of tones.. this will give you 12 layers of sound. Zone 3 & 4 tones will give you 2 more.. bringing it to 14 layers..... Make the keyrange and zone assignments full-keyboard to get full layering across the keyboard.

The 16 multitimbre number comes from being 16 sound multitimbre for MIDI sequences.

14 layers technically. A Hex layer tone can be made up of up to 6 layers. There are already some examples of orchestral and other textured sounds that utilize all six layers. If you use two Hex layers on zones 1 and 2, that is 12 layers. You can then add piano and another sound on zones 3 and 4. The possibilities are endless.

• 1 month later...

Is there somewhere, either here or elsewhere, an explanation as to how the different elements of the hex layers affect the overall tone?  Predominantly my question pertains to adjusting the wave forms but also how the layers interact with each other.  There has to be some kind of generality -- I'm familiar with lowering the attack value to get the sound up and running faster -- but do adjusting other elements have certain predictable effects? 

Not really - think of each layer in the hex as an individual sound - each with it's own full set of parameters.  A useful exercise is to load in each of the preset hexlayers and turn off all but one layer and see how it sounds... and then turn on the next layer, and so on.. This will give you an idea of how all the sounds interact.   It is really an combination of art and science to get a real good sound..