Video Files on Forum ×

Stage Setting Hex Layer wave names

jpkeys

I have found that hex layer wave names in stage settings don't always match the actual wave being used. For example, in the default 0-5 Stage Setting "OrchGlckTimp", zone 1 has a hex layer and the waves shown for each layer have no relation to the actual sound on the layer. For example, layer 1's wave says #110 Chapel Organ, but it's a string sound. Likewise for the other layers: layer 4 is a glockenspiel, but it shows the wave as "Clavi 2 2".

This seems like a bug, and it makes exploring and editing settings difficult. I know that when you save a Stage Setting, it saves all changes with it even if you haven't saved the underlying tones separately. But it should be able to recall the correct wave names in this case; all the rest of the layer parameters seem to be displayed correctly, so why not the wave names? This is both with the data editor app and editing on the keyboard itself. If I am missing something here please let me know. Thanks!

JP

post-1949-0-76209300-1379989927_thumb.pn

Yes I can confirm this. I have the latest FW and Data Editor. The correct hexlayer  for SS 0-5 is U:72 - if you load that in you can then edit the proper hex layer. It occurs when you try to edit the hex on the PX-5S or the data editor. 

I do seem to remember reading somewhere that you basically create / edit the hexlayers and then import them into the SS.. ie you don't edit them right from the SS menu.. IDK - I could have dreamt it. I'm sure Mike or Brad can shed some light on this. 

Not a bug exactly.  ;)

During the development of the original Stage Settings the number of waveforms available was constantly changing.   So lets say a Hex Layer used waveform #100 and lets pretend it was strings.  10 Additional waveforms were added before #100 so now the strings are at #110.   If you looked at a Hex Layer that was originally programmed to use #100 for Strings it might now say something else.  However the Hex Layer sound still worked although the name and selection appear to be broken. 

• Like 1

Not a bug exactly.  ;)

During the development of the original Stage Settings the number of waveforms available was constantly changing.   So lets say a Hex Layer used waveform #100 and lets pretend it was strings.  10 Additional waveforms were added before #100 so now the strings are at #110.   If you looked at a Hex Layer that was originally programmed to use #100 for Strings it might now say something else.  However the Hex Layer sound still worked although the name and selection appear to be broken. 

If you want to edit a hexlayer on a preset stage setting do you find the correct hex and load that in?

Fixing this would require me to reprogram most if not all the factory Stage Settings that use Hex Layers.  Again the waveform list was changing up until the the very last days before v1.00 was finalized. 

It is unfortunately a very time intensive process.  Waveforms were added throughout the list, so it is not possible to simply change the selection from 100 to 110 as if ten waveforms had been added to the beginning of the list.  You'd have to edit each Hex Layer, turn "INIT WAV" to OFF.   Turn all layers off except the one you were working on.  Listen to the original, then scroll until you found an identical sounding wave...with the proper name.

Not a bug exactly.  ;)

Ah. I had been assuming the hex layer just "points at" the waves and loads them when you call it up. But it sounds like the actual wave samples are included with the hex layer, and the only pointer is to the wave number for the purpose of displaying the name. So if the wave moves, the hex layer sounds the same, but just doesn't display the name correctly. Is that sort of accurate?

That's a much better explanation than what I originally thought was going on. I presumed the hex layer waves were edited and saved in a stage setting, and when recalled the stage setting was showing the names from the base hex layer instead of the changed ones. That would have been a bug. :) Still, it's a minor annoyance and very confusing to someone just jumping into editing on the PX-5S.

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike! I've got a list of newbie questions I've been holding off on posting because I seem to find the answers on my own after a while. But this one had me stumped.

I've only had the board a little over a week and enjoying very much so far. Here's a pic at its inaugural gig this past weekend; can you guess the theme?  :D 

IMAG0165_sm.jpg

• Like 1