Video Files on Forum ×

PX 780 iPad connection help

PRICEMAN

Hello. First post.

I've recently bought a PX780 and need some help and advice about Ipad connection.

Could anyone please give me some guidance about how to connect an ipad (3rd genereration) so I can utilise some learning / teaching apps such as synthesia.

I've read a variety of documents and watched a ton of YouTube videos which seem to suggest a camera connection kit and usb cable. I bought a camera connection kit and usb to usb cable but it doesn't even recognise the iPad when plugged in. I've also read about usb to midi connection but am starting to get a little confused about what I need and what to do with it and my wallet is getting a little lighter buying things that don't appear to be working.

Any step by step advice about what to buy and how to set it up would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Leigh.

Hi Leigh and welcome to the forums. Couple of questions - first did you buy an "official" Apple brand connection kit or a generic one? Some of the generic ones have issues, esp, if you have upgraded to iOS 7.

Also, in the program you want to use with the Casio - have you looked into the MIDI settings, etc. to check/assign the connection - please elaborate a little more what exactly you are doing, program, etc. so we can help you troubleshoot.

We'll get you there!
:)

Thanks for your reply Scott. Sorry if the above (or what I'm about to write) doesn't have much detail. Only because I'm a complete beginner. The only items I posses are the piano (px780) an iPad (3rd generation, the one just before the lightning connector) and a camera connection pack (genuine one). When you say what programme am I using do you mean app on the iPad? Midi settings? Are they on the piano or elsewhere?

I went to a piano store today and they said I need a USB to midi adaptor to plug into the iPad camera connection pack.

Sorry if I'm not being much help.

Leigh.

Ah…the cable I bought is a little different to that pic. Mine is identical at each end (USB 1 I think) I'll get my hands on one shown above and give that a try.

Yes I have got the synthesia app. Is that a good one? Any other recommendations for apps as a beginners learning tool?

Thank you very much for your advice

Leigh.

OK - that is the problem. It is called USB "A" to USB "B" - also sometimes called a printer cable. This connects to the square USB port IN THE BACK of the Casio  (USB to HOST) NOT THE USB in the front (USB to DEVICE). The USB in the front is only for a flash drive.

I don't have an iPad yet so I don't know of many apps? Are you on Facebook - there is a great iPad music group - you should join up!  :) 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ipadmusician/