Video Files on Forum ×

P1 and G1 differ greatly.

I wasn't sure of it I'm still trying to convince myself, sometimes I'm getting it and then I don't there is to quote someone that reviewed the keyboards "A muscle memory learning curve" here and it is tricking me.

This is the thing I don't have the P1 I have the G1 I did that cause the need of sampling without a computer plus I wanted an Casio. I knew about the P1 hexlayers but bluntly though the G1 has it also(It did but not so greatly as the P1).

The learning curve tested me to find out everything about the G1 and boy how it did. In short after several months pushing twisting and sliding knobs and sliders it let out bit of its self what it can do and not and for sure the thing it is capable of.

:rolleyes: The G1 can do more then the P1 actually can in sense of Performance and Groove, The G1 is a Groove synth a while ago a member asked about if something like Karma could be done for the XW series. If you look at it Karma does lots of complicated midi messaging and pattern assignments algorithmic. The more I've delved in the step sequencer capability and slider knobs control option shows G1 can change behavior of a tune tone , note , effect, arpeggio , groove  etc.  

I don't know about the P1 but the G1 step sequencer and performance mode can be edited in way's that can change every single pattern of a sequence from the eight assignable pattern buttons even switching instruments on the fly how cool is that. The tedious part is programming the synths virtual controls sliders and setting things up for performance even less midi CC message which seems short on effects. However I can only know then when I'm using something like the midi designer app suggested or something similar.

At first I also though the buttons and slider function between the P1 and G1 where similar but they greatly differ for instance for me it was normal to create a two wave solo synth tone and then edit the sound by the sliders and pressing the buttons on the left of the synth. Never took notice that it was different for the P1.  

It seems a bit blunt to say the XW series synth function differently even if some of it engine part work the same they each hold their own purpose of performance.  Its all there a synth you can do lots with just by discovering stuff inside of it..

There is a certain muscle memory learning curve at work but surely one that pay's of in time. 

Very good points you hit on. When choosing which XW to get you really need to think about what you will be doing with it. I already had a PX-5S, so for me the G1 makes a better companion synth.. I also don't do a lot of organ-type music so the drawbar functions are really a non-issue for me.

Now if I DID NOT have the PX-5S, the decision would have been much harder... not really sure what I would have picked although I probably would have ended up with both.  :)

• Like 1