Video Files on Forum ×

Will PX5S ever include a "monophonic" mode?

theshinenz

Hi guys, 

Been doing some reading before purchase, and this is one thing I found that could be a deal breaker, not being able to make a lead sound monophonic. Question for Mike, would it ever be possible to add this in future firmware updates or not?

Thats or it looks like I may have to buy a small synth aswell as the PX5.

On that note can you use the audio inputs on the px5s to input a second synth so you only have to run a stereo pair to the PA?

Cheers

Scott

Hey.. good question...
I don't speak for Mike or Casio, but this has been discussed.. based on those talks, I would not expect to see a monophonic mode on the PX-5S. Of course, I have been wrong more than once in my life.  :) .. but that is my educated guess.

As far as a solo synth, the Casio XW-P1 or XW-G1 complements the PX-5S quite nicely.  They both have a monster monophonic solo synth engine and both have a very cool step sequencer for laying down drums, bass, grooves, etc. Beyond these two areas, the P1 and G1 are VERY different... if you decide to go this route do your research to decide what would be best for you.

Of course there are many other choices out there, but the XWs are an exceptional value.. and even though they have a different sound engine than the PX-5S, the XWs sound REALLY good with the 5S.. they just gel.

No matter what you decide for a second board... you can run them into the PX-5S LINE INS. I actually run my XW-G1 and my iPad (via the 1/8" stereo jack) into the PX-5S  so I don't need to bother with a mixer. The XW's have the same capability so I could actually daisy-chain a couple more devices into the mix without needing a mixer. Very handy.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! 

• Like 1

I have asked a few times before, and I think I have sort of worked out an answer in my head, as to why one needs a monophonic mode or how one uses it.  Unfortunately, nobody has ever stepped forward to explain why it's such a dealbreaker if a synth doesn't have mono mode.  I suspect the draw is in the multiple-key priority scheme, and I could sure use that function, too.  I'm not anti-monophony, so I don't want to start a why-is-this-better-than-that thread.  I simply am ignorant on the matter and need some education.  Anyone care to explain?

I have asked a few times before, and I think I have sort of worked out an answer in my head, as to why one needs a monophonic mode or how one uses it.  Unfortunately, nobody has ever stepped forward to explain why it's such a dealbreaker if a synth doesn't have mono mode.  I suspect the draw is in the multiple-key priority scheme, and I could sure use that function, too.  I'm not anti-monophony, so I don't want to start a why-is-this-better-than-that thread.  I simply am ignorant on the matter and need some education.  Anyone care to explain?

Great question, Jason. Basically having monophonic mode lets to use some cool playing techniques that aren't possible in poly mode. This mainly involves "note cancelling".. think of how a guitar player working a single string up and down the fretboard...

This video may help as well:

That helped, Scott.  And it inspired me to search a little deeper.  I think I finally found a satisfying answer in a forum over at gearslutz:

"But anyway, the one-voice "limitation" of monos can be taken advantage of in ways that many polys don't do as well:

1. Legato playing and envelope retriggering. Most analog monos use a gate signal to trigger the envelopes, meaning they don't restart on a new note when playing legato. Playing staccato or having a break between notes will cause the envelope to release and restart at the attack on the next note. This allows for different ways of expression while playing just by switching from legato to staccato playing and back. A poly will trigger a new voice on each note, so the notes won't transition the same as on a mono (though a good mono mode on a poly can achieve this as well).

2. Portamento. Add portamento and re-read #1 above. Poly portamento is a cool effect but not nearly as playable (or predictable) as mono portamento.

3. Real-time expression. When only one hand is needed to play the keyboard, your other hand is free to add expression using the wheels and knobs (esp. the filter cutoff knob).

4. Modulation routings. Monos tend to have more flexible modulation routings than a poly, since they're easier to implement in a monosynth (no CPU needed, see Pro-One for a great example). Or better yet, a modular!

5. Sound. Even if a monosynth is just a single-voice version of a poly made by the same company (for example, Pro-One vs. Prophet 5) it'll sound different since the voice's signal level can be higher on a mono. Polys need to have their individual voices at a lower level so they don't clip when chords are played."

Jason: That was the best list I have seen. Not everyone gets the use of monophonic synths.. esp if you come from a piano or organ background.. There a very funny story about how Rick Wakeman got his first Minimoog relating to the monophonic issue....
(Should jump to the spot.. if not it's at 37min 25sec.. but you should watch the whole thing when you get time!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just how important is mono if someone was trying to play progressive rock leads, say Dream Theater, Symphony X, Stratovarius, etc.? I'm wanting to pick up keyboard, been playing guitar for 15 years, and have no doubt the PX-5S will be great for learning the fundamentals and practicing on and playing piano and all that wonderful stuff, but i'd also like it to last me a while and hopefully let me play the kind of music i do on guitar. Should i look elsewhere if that's my goal, or is it not such a big deal? 

Just how important is mono if someone was trying to play progressive rock leads, say Dream Theater, Symphony X, Stratovarius, etc.? I'm wanting to pick up keyboard, been playing guitar for 15 years, and have no doubt the PX-5S will be great for learning the fundamentals and practicing on and playing piano and all that wonderful stuff, but i'd also like it to last me a while and hopefully let me play the kind of music i do on guitar. Should i look elsewhere if that's my goal, or is it not such a big deal? 

Ideally you will want a weighted action board for piano parts and a synth-action board for organ/leads, etc. You will see most setups have a 88 key on the bottom and usually a 61 key on top for this reason. Maybe starting with something like the XW-P1 would be good to give you a little of everything? 

For example, you can use a 61 key midi controller into PX5S for playing mono synth lead...

That may make it easier to play certain lead lines, but it would still be polyphonic. Uness there is a MIDI controller that can send single-notes only via MIDI to make a poly-synth a mono-synth.. if you know of such a controller please share! 

That may make it easier to play certain lead lines, but it would still be polyphonic. Uness there is a MIDI controller that can send single-notes only via MIDI to make a poly-synth a mono-synth.. if you know of such a controller please share! 

Yes Scott, you're right...but if PX5S had a mono mode, I would control mono sounds by external midi controller...