Video Files on Forum ×

Metronome

Envergure

I don't think you can have the metronome on without having the phrase recorder on. However, if you don't save the phrase after your playing session, everything that was recorded, is wiped out, when you turn the PX-5S off. If you check the phrase number you used, when you turn it back on, you should discover the phrase is just as it was (with nothing in it, if it was initially an empty user phrase.) Be careful not to record over factory phrases, as you may want to use them later. The empty user phrases start at 100, if I'm not mistaken.

Scroll to the phrase you want to use, and press Edit. The time signature appears as Beat, followed by [4/4] if the phrase has not been written to before. Change to the time signature you want to use, with the -/No and +/Yes buttons, and you can hold the Num Key to move in bigger steps.

I feel the volume of the metronome is too low, compared to my playing, so I prefer to connect my laptop to Audio In and use some software metronome. Just be careful to turn the volume down before connecting anything to Audio in, as the volume of the external source can be quite high. I connected my laptop with an external USB sound card, and the volume was so high, that I only got distorted sound.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no need to keep recording indefinitely on the phrase recorder.  On any stage setting, set zone 1 to drums.  Decide what the downbeat will be - probably a triangle.  And a stick across a snare for the count.  Choose an empty phrase, set the time sig for whatever time you want to keep, 4/4, 3/4 etc.  Set the quantize on to eighth note maybe or quarter note if thats available.  Number of measures should be 1.  Start recording and make a one measure phrase with your clicks.

Save the phrase in some phrase number.

Now you have a few options.  If you want to play the phrase (metronome) through a stage setting but NOT commit the phrase to be part of the stage setting, set Zone 1 to drums.  Turn Zone 1 off.  Press the phrase button, key up your phrase number, and hit start.  Your metronome will play.  You can play the keyboard with the other 3 zones of the stage setting you chose.  You can control the speed with the Tempo button.

To play your metronome with all  zones, you can add your phrase to the song sequencer.  When you setup a track, choose a drum set for the track and a midi channel other than what is set up for the zones.  Add your phrase to a track and set the repeat to up to 99.  You can add up to 999 slots for the track, each of which can be repeated up to 99 times; so there's plenty of room to let your metronome run and run.  You could even intermix different time signature phrase within the groups of patterns on the track.

Once you start you song, the metronome will play and you can play along with it.

• 8 months later...

As a brand new PX-5S owner, I've just tried the above technique to create a metronome function. Here's a twist that might be useful to some ... rather than turning Zone 1 (drums) off, simply set the key range of Zone down to a single key at the extreme (e.g., the lowest note, or the highest note), so that playing the other (87) keys with the other Zone(s) won't trigger other drumset sounds.

The benefit of this is that you can then easily set a slider to the volume control for Zone 1 / metronome, thereby making it very easy to adjust the relative mix of the metronome volume in the context of the other sound(s) being played during practice.

Just an idea for consideration.

• Like 1

you can do that or you can just turn zone 1 on temporarily, adjust volume, then turn it off again.

Thank you. This is fascinating ... when I read this at first, I didn't think it would work since I assumed when you turn a zone OFF, then its sound ceases to be produced (or audible).

Yet this tip works as advertised.

This has gotten me wondering about what the ON/OFF feature of Zones really controls, if not the production of sound from that Zone.

To understand what zone on/off means, it helps to understand what the PX-5s is.  It's a midi controller.  When you turn off a zone, you turn off the controls (keys, sliders, knobs, wheels).  The sound generator continues to sound via midi sources such as the midi input and internal sequencer.  

BTW.  I created a phrase for a metronome long ago.  It's mapped to use the metronome samples and is set for 4/4 time.  It's in the download section.  

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/68-metronome-for-piano-practice.

BradMZ -

Thank you for the excellent clarification.

I didn't think of the phrase (or arpeggio) player as an internal sequencer firing MIDI info to the tone generators inside the PX-5S ... which of course now makes perfect sense.

I made my own practice piano + metronome track, setting slider 1 to its own volume. Slider 2 offers reverb.

Incidentally, since I often listen to news/talk podcasts while practicing finger/scale warm-ups, I jack the output of my tablet into the mix in of the PX-5S and - just for this metronome+practice piano setup - I assign slider 6 to the "external audio" volume which controls the output of the podcasts in my headphones too.

The overall volume of the entire mix (piano, metronome, podcast) gets adjusted through the main master volume knob.

A great way to spend time catching up on news and views of the world while honing those finger chops :-)

This forum is much appreciaed - OneWatt

• Like 1