Video Files on Forum ×

Intriduction to Sound Mixing

rdh89

I really want to learn how to mix, modify, and create sounds, but I'm overwhelmed with all of the ways there are to modulate a tone! I am a COMPLETE beginner. I've spent a few nights playing around with everything the PX-5s has to offer, and I feel like I'm paddling a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean. Are there some good resources for beginners out there trying to make their own sounds?

For example, what is equalization, compression, distortion, attack, attack decay, etc? How can I recreate an awesome piano sound in a song I heard on the radio? Are there effect and filters that do or don't combine well? Is there a way to imitate sliding a note on a guitar with the px-5s?

It feels like there is SO much to learn and I can't WAIT to learn it, but I'm having trouble even knowing where to begin! Any suggestions??

Hi and welcome to the Casio Forums. There are numerous sites and videos dedicated to this.. just google "synthesizer basics" or "synthesizer sound design" and you will be busy for months. 

Another method is to take some sounds in the PX-5S and dig into the editor to see how they are made. This is how I learned how Mike made those layered soundscapes. Take a preset like "Ice Castles" and isolate each part of the sound. Play with all the envelopes, filters and effects to see how each effect the sound. Go ahead and experiment.. you won't break anything and you will really learn how things work on the PX-5S.

And... HAVE FUN!

• Like 3