Video Files on Forum ×

Controlling Volume of a Layer in a HexLayer when there are TWO HexLayers!

SonnyDaye

If I have a HexLayer in Zone 1 and a different HexLayer in Zone 2 and each HexLayer has 5 or 6 Layers, how can I know WHICH Layer 3 will be controlled if I assign a slider or knob to control the Volume of Layer 3. And, is there a way to ASSIGN WHICH Layer 3 I want to be controlled?

Thanks for any help with this - can't find any intuitive way to solve this.

• Like 1

You can crossfade a hexlayer's layers with a single slider, yes?  Set slider 1 to zone 1, hex layers 1 and 2 and set the control for the slider opposite for each layer.  When the slider is all the way up, layer 1 is at max and layer 2 is at min.  When all the way down, layer 1 is at min, layer 2 is at max.  Do this for layers 3+4 and 5+6 for zone 1 for sliders 1 through 3.  For slider 4-6, do the same thing except for zone 2 hexlayer layers 1-6.  In theory, that should give you close to complete volume control through the sliders over both hexlayers.

Choppin, the downside of that method is that you can't partially add an opposing layer to the mix, for example, if you have layer 1 at full volume and want to add layer 2 at, say 60%, volume. I tried this method for a stage setting where I had a hex layer on zone 1 and tones on the other three. I wanted to be able to not only control the volume of each layer, but the other three zones as well. On top of that, I wanted the knobs to control reverb, delay, pedal 2 on-time and pedal 2 off-time. I eventually gave up because I figured I was just being greedy - and my aging brain couldn't remember what I had put where!

I can't begin to imagine why anyone would want to try to control 12 layers, but then, I've seen some pretty amazing keyboardists that have left me in awe!

Hey, here's an idea for Casio - since most of us have five digits on each hand, how about putting 5 sliders on each side of the display? Aaah, but then there's the hex layers - better make that six! ;-)

• Like 1

Duh!

I use the on/off setting for each zone all the time....don't know WHY I didn't think of doing it that way to control volumes of LAYERS rather than whole zones! Maybe because the deeper I get into the PX-5s, the more my head spins.

But, I'm glad I asked the question because you guys brought up some OTHER interesting ideas!

Thanks!

KRULLEBOLLE, yes you CAN use the Mod Wheel to control volume! I've been doing that for a while.

• Like 1

Ah,

crossfading. Didn't think off that, thanks chopping, although not always useful, will make use of it.

And controlling 10 hex layers is more then adequate i would think....

Didn't know about the mod wheel, seems more useful as a volume controller then the knob... interesting..

The biggest problem I have with sliders, knobs, wheels and pedals is remembering what I've assigned to them - at some stage, I'll have to decide on some sort of standardisation. But then that would take away all the surprises!

I've got one stage setting I've made that has hex layer with four layers comprised of various strings ( would that actually be a quad layer?) on zone 1 plus concert grand on zone 2 and brite grand on zone 3. I use sliders 1-4 to control the mix of the layers and sliders 5 & 6 to mix the two piano tones when I need to cut through more. But like SonnyDaye suggests, I use the mod wheel to control the volume of zone 1 - it''s then like a master volume for the hex layer mix. But then I switch to another stage setting where the mod wheel acts as just that, and when I reach for it - whoops! That's not a volume control!!!

Then there are the other stage settings where I've set the sliders to work in the opposite direction - like drawbars - to avoid the sudden jump in level when you first adjust them in a stage setting. I'm driving myself crazy... there are just too many options.... but isn't it great to have them!

• Like 3