Video Files on Forum ×

Flash drive volume control

Edward

Newbie question:  Is there a way to adjust the volume independently on the fly when playing back a midi file from a flash drive.  I have searched the forum and the manuals and cannot find this addressed anywhere.  I know the main volume knob will do this, but it also changes the keyboard volume.  I am trying to build some backing tracks with band in a box.  I am new to both band in a box and the PX-5S.  Is there a better way of accomplishing backing tracks.  Thanks for your help.

Hi Edward.  Your best best is to render the the file as an audio file (.wav, 16 but, 44.1 khz, named TAKE00, TAKE02, etc). You can then assign a knob or controller (target AUDIO VOLUME) to the flash drive. This will  give you a lot more control and flexibility while the file is playing.

As for myself, I tend to put all backing tracks on an iPhone, iPad or Laptop and run them into the PX-5S audio in. Just is an easier way for me to keep track of  everything.

Thank you, Scott.  I renamed my wav file TAKE01 and assigned Knob 4 for Audio Volume and it worked perfectly.  I tried to name the file other than TAKE?? and it can't be found.  So I guess everything has to be TAKE00, TAKE01 ... I have always used my iPad for tracks.  I guess that's how it will remain.  Thanks for your info.

@Edward,

Scott's suggestion is probably the easiest and cleanest but just so you are armed with additional tools:

maybe a little more cumbersome, but you could play the midi file through the USB and control the mix directly through the software editor.  I can't remember offhand if there is a master volume or just individual track volumes

Another alternative is to create phrases of the midi tracks (in the editor) and assign the phrases to tracks and slots in a song.  While the song is playing, I believe you can control the master volume through the song editing functions - then again, not being in front of the keyboard I may be remembering incorrectly, it may only be track level volume control.

I tried to name the file other than TAKE?? and it can't be found.  So I guess everything has to be TAKE00, TAKE01 ... I have always used my iPad for tracks.  I guess that's how it will remain.  Thanks for your info.

You're welcome - and yes this how the files must be named so the PX-5S can read them. I just make a little chart to keep track of what's on the flashdrive... I attached it below if you would like it. Cheers!

TAKE NUMBER.pdf