Video Files on Forum ×

How to record what I'm playing to USB

carrotsails

This piano is so confusing and the manual that came with it is horribly written. For starters, there are no references to page numbers to find what I'm looking for. Please excuse my frustration. I feel this should be a fairly simple thing to do, but haven't been able to figure a single thing out. This is all I want to be able to do, in fact the very reason I purchased a digital piano - I want to play a song from start to finish and have it record to my USB. What steps must I take to make this happen? All I have found is "presss button of function you want to use the required number of times until the button lamp is lit." Well, I don't see anything moving anywhere when I press the 'record' button and the thing says I have no files on my USB drive - which is probably because I haven't recorded anything yet! Please, please help. Thank you in advance :)

The manual that comes with it is admittedly pretty poor. The manual that's downloadable is a little better but not great. I would suggest that you check out the many resources available including this forum, the Facebook group if you're on that, and PX-5S.com which has a lot of links and info including Casio rep Mike Martin's videos explaining many things you can do with the PX-5S.

Good luck trying to follow the manual Carrotsails, it's the most disjointed manual I have ever encountered, with the way you need to jump backwards and forwards for even the simplest instruction. I guess at least it saves a few trees!

I'll try to explain the method as simply as possible:

1) Ensure that you have formatted the USB stick for the PX-5S. If not, follow the instructions on page E31 of the User Guide (Basics) that came with the instrument - or download it from the link the Scott posted.

2) With the USB stick plugged in, press and HOLD the Media button button until the display shows "Media" and "SMF Play" etc.

3) Press the "Exit" button

4) Press the "Audio Recorder" button (don't hold). This is the same button used to mount the USB stick. The adjacent blue light will light up. The display will show "Audio Select" and "TAKE XX".

5) Press the "Audio Recorder" button again and the light will start flashing. The blue light above the "Record" button will also start flashing and the show "Audio Standby" and "TAKE XX" (where XX is the incremental number that is assigned to each recording).

6) Press the "Record" button or simply start playing to start recording. Operating any pedal, slider or knob will also start the recording. The blue "Record" light will stop flashing and remain lit while recording. A light above the "Start/Stop" button will start flashing.

7) Stop recording by pressing the "Record" button (not the Start/Stop button). The "Audio Recorder" light will continue flashing until the file has finished writing and then remain lit.

8) To playback the file, press the "Start/Stop". Press it again to stop playback. The playback will also stop automatically at the end of the recording.

9) If you wish to delete the recording, press the "Enter" button and confirm with the "Yes" button.

10) To record again, repeat the steps from 6)

11) To exit recording mode, either press the "Audio Recorder" button twice or simply press the "Exit" button.

To playback existing recordings, follow the steps as far as 4), navigate to the file you want with the "-/No" and "+/Yes" buttons and then control the playback with the "Start/Stop" button.

I hope that makes it clearer. Just a word of advice... keep a notebook handy to write down meaningful notes or names of the recordings, because the PX-5S will only allow "NOTE XX" for the file names. Anything else won't be recognised.

Good luck!

• Like 1