Video Files on Forum ×

Possible Issue with my PX-5S???

Wallace

Hi all,

I've just got my 2nd hand PX-5S off eBay and I was so exciting about it but there were a few issues which I wasn't quite sure if that's meant to be normal or how could I fix it?

1. First of all, I've "Initialize All" by pressing the Sys Setting button then using the < > buttons to navigate. My objective is to reset the PX-5S to whatever the factory setting is and get rid of whatever the settings from the person who sold me the piano. After I've initialized ALL when I tried the Grand Piano 000, it sounded so weird. I then go back to Sys Setting and clear the "Stage Setting", then it sounded like Grand Piano to me, so not sure if this is normal or there is something else I can do to absolutely RESET everything to the CLEAN settings as if I just bought this piano brand new from a shop???

2. When I used the Casio damper pedal, no matter I am using the headphone or connect it to a keyboard amplifier, there is a slight "NOISE" when I stepped on the pedal all the way. I've asked the person who sold me the piano and he told me he didn't experience this so not sure if this is a setting issue or I should buy a pedal off eBay; or is the pedal covered by the 5 years warranty (as I am living in Australia and Casio offers 5 years warranty).

3. I've tried on a Yamaha CLP Digital Piano before as well as a Casio AP-25 Digital Piano, however, I've founded that the keyboard action in PX-5S is a bit springy and if you pressed the keyboard down and release your finger, it's kind of bouncing back up & down (slightly) before settling down. Is this the action I should expect as I've found the AP-25 keyboard wasn't this springy.

4. Finally, what is the normal balance position for the Knobs (K1 - K4) and the sliders (S1 - S6)?? Should I put the K1 - K4 to 12am position and S1 - S6 to centre (vertically)?? 

5. I've bought a second hand keyboard amplifier Peavey KB4 (75W - 32kg) and should I connect this PX-5S to the Mono or the input without the word mono??

I am actually buying this piano for learning how to play piano and I don't know how to play, initially I was about to buy a brand new PX-160 off eBay.au for $US 530, but I've seen this PX-5S available for US $580 so I've ended up buying this PX-5S though I have no idea about what those knobs and sliders for, and have no experience in the other features. But I believe this is quite a bargain so in case if I have to sell it out, I probably won't lose too much money and this should be more advanced than the PX-160 anyway. Am I making a right decision?

This PX-5S has already been upgraded to firmware 1.13, and if needed, I can re-fresh the firmware if this will clear ALL the user settings, configurations, tones, etc. I just want to get this piano back to the basic settings so that I can start from scratch :) Any suggestion are much appreciated.

Thanks

Wallace

Hi all,

I've just got my 2nd hand PX-5S off eBay and I was so exciting about it but there were a few issues which I wasn't quite sure if that's meant to be normal or how could I fix it?

1. First of all, I've "Initialize All" by pressing the Sys Setting button then using the < > buttons to navigate. My objective is to reset the PX-5S to whatever the factory setting is and get rid of whatever the settings from the person who sold me the piano. After I've initialized ALL when I tried the Grand Piano 000, it sounded so weird. I then go back to Sys Setting and clear the "Stage Setting", then it sounded like Grand Piano to me, so not sure if this is normal or there is something else I can do to absolutely RESET everything to the CLEAN settings as if I just bought this piano brand new from a shop???

2. When I used the Casio damper pedal, no matter I am using the headphone or connect it to a keyboard amplifier, there is a slight "NOISE" when I stepped on the pedal all the way. I've asked the person who sold me the piano and he told me he didn't experience this so not sure if this is a setting issue or I should buy a pedal off eBay; or is the pedal covered by the 5 years warranty (as I am living in Australia and Casio offers 5 years warranty).

3. I've tried on a Yamaha CLP Digital Piano before as well as a Casio AP-25 Digital Piano, however, I've founded that the keyboard action in PX-5S is a bit springy and if you pressed the keyboard down and release your finger, it's kind of bouncing back up & down (slightly) before settling down. Is this the action I should expect as I've found the AP-25 keyboard wasn't this springy.

4. Finally, what is the normal balance position for the Knobs (K1 - K4) and the sliders (S1 - S6)?? Should I put the K1 - K4 to 12am position and S1 - S6 to centre (vertically)?? 

5. I've bought a second hand keyboard amplifier Peavey KB4 (75W - 32kg) and should I connect this PX-5S to the Mono or the input without the word mono??

I am actually buying this piano for learning how to play piano and I don't know how to play, initially I was about to buy a brand new PX-160 off eBay.au for $US 530, but I've seen this PX-5S available for US $580 so I've ended up buying this PX-5S though I have no idea about what those knobs and sliders for, and have no experience in the other features. But I believe this is quite a bargain so in case if I have to sell it out, I probably won't lose too much money and this should be more advanced than the PX-160 anyway. Am I making a right decision?

This PX-5S has already been upgraded to firmware 1.13, and if needed, I can re-fresh the firmware if this will clear ALL the user settings, configurations, tones, etc. I just want to get this piano back to the basic settings so that I can start from scratch :) Any suggestion are much appreciated.

Thanks

Wallace

Hi Wallace and welcome to the Casio Music Forums.  You have a lot of great questions there so let's get right too it!

1 - I suspect the modulation wheel is "up" and causing your strange sound issue. It is the second wheel  in (the one without the spring). It should be pulled down so the detent is at the bottom of the wheel travel. 

2- That metallic squink is a feature to simulate the damper pedal noise. It can be deactivated in the Stage Setting Edit ---> System Effect area. (Damper Noise Enable On/off)

3- The keyboard action you describe is normal for the PX-5S. 

4- The knob initial position doesn't matter when a Stage Setting is called up so you can put them in whatever position you like. The knobs only affect the sound when you move them.

5-. You should use the L/mono out when going into an mono amp.  As an aside, you will get a much better piano sound using studio monitors or a powered PA type speaker. 

There you go! Again, welcome and let us know if you need any more help. We also have a great Facebook Group (link in my sig) you are welcome to join!

=Scott-

• Like 1

Thank you so much Scott,

1. You are right, I set the modulation wheel to centre, thinking that's the natural position. Now the strange Grand Piano sound is gone after I pulled it all the way down to the bottom.

2. Also the damper noise is gone following your direction, it's great that I almost buy another damper from eBay thinking this one malfunctions :)

Your help is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Wallace

Thank you so much Scott,

1. You are right, I set the modulation wheel to centre, thinking that's the natural position. Now the strange Grand Piano sound is gone after I pulled it all the way down to the bottom.

2. Also the damper noise is gone following your direction, it's great that I almost buy another damper from eBay thinking this one malfunctions :)

Your help is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Wallace

Quite welcome. These are very common questions with the PX-5S so I've had lots of practice answering them over the last three years. Enjoy your PX-5S!

• Like 1