Video Files on Forum ×

Baba O'Riley

anotherscott

Thanks for the Baba sound, BradMZ, it's great! I can cover everything up to "We're all wasted!" -- then the tempo shifts, and I do the rest on another keyboard. It would be cool if a knob or slider could vary the tempo of the arps, then I could just slow it down that way. But maybe that's not do-able. A simple change, though, is to raise the octave of the piano. You don't really need the lowest notes, but on the glissando before "Teenage wasteland," you need to start on higher notes than are available in the patch. But really, great work, closer than what I've heard on other boards. Too bad it looks like it won't work on the PX-560 since it has only one arpeggiator. You wouldn't happen to know whether you could do something similar on a Yamaha MOXF, do you? Or Kurzweil PC3 series?

Thanks.  I don't play the song so I never finished the programming. The organ sound can get even closer. This stage setting was not intended to play beyond the intro of the song because the pattern changes after that. It changes as soon as the piano comes in and no longer matches the original recording.  I threw the piano in the stage setting but never played it.  That was next.  I intended to design multiple stage settings setup in sequence.  Each one would have a variation in programming to the arpeggiator and more.    

Yes, tempo can be assigned to a slider.  

No, it cannot be done on the PX-560.

As far as those other keyboards, I am not familiar with them.

If you want to hear it in use, here's a video:

And yes, we lowered the key. And messed it up a bit, c'est la vie. ;-)

Sometimes the in-between strikes aren't coming out in-between, but that could be a flaw in when I hit the keys, too. It only happens sometimes. Regardless this sound is plenty close enough for me. Assigning tempo to a slider and lowering the piano an octave would make it that much better. Actually, if I spent a few minutes on it, I imagine I could lower the piano octave myself. For the gig, it was easier to just call up a piano sound on another board. ;-)

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing the video!  :)  I love to see someone using a sound I programmed. It came out pretty good.  Of course, I always want to tweak it more.   

The two arps are tempo synced and locked into one another as long as you hold the first note that starts the arpeggio pattern.  If you miss a note timing wise, the arp will pick up on the next correct note.  In other words, if you overshoot the timing by too much, a note will be ignored by the arpeggiator.  

I worked on the organ sound some more today and got what I think is a better sound. The arp patterns need more work.  The repeat function used on the original organ is impossible to recreate on this keyboard and probably most every other keyboard out there.  In order to pull this off, I had to invent some workarounds that kept some of the live playability of the original organ.  I could create a phrase or two that would play everything automatically but that takes the musician out of the equation and leaves what boils down to a backing track.  I don't like that idea.  

I listened to the original recording of Baba O'riley some today and heard some things I didn't hear before.   Trying to incorporate those things into the arp patterns is proving difficult.  I will have to come back another time with fresh ears.  

• Like 1

Long ago, I used a Maxi-Korg which did a nice job on this sound (basically two Mini-Korgs in one unit). You could set it so that if you pressed one key, it would repeat at a certain rate; and if, while holding that key, you pressed a second key, that note would repeat at the same rate but in between the instances of the first note. But I don't know of any current board that can work that way.

BTW, I like that your patch doesn't lock you in to playing it in only the original key (F). Over the years, I've needed to play it in F, E, and D. Something else that's good about your patch is that it allows you to play most of the stuff with one hand, leaving the other hand free for piano. I saw someone's patch for another board, and it required the "in between" notes to be played an octave higher, so it was always a two-hand process, and that's not very workable as the song progresses.

If you want to hear it in use, here's a video:

And yes, we lowered the key. And messed it up a bit, c'est la vie. ;-)

Sometimes the in-between strikes aren't coming out in-between, but that could be a flaw in when I hit the keys, too. It only happens sometimes. Regardless this sound is plenty close enough for me. Assigning tempo to a slider and lowering the piano an octave would make it that much better. Actually, if I spent a few minutes on it, I imagine I could lower the piano octave myself. For the gig, it was easier to just call up a piano sound on another board. ;-)

Nice one, it is great seeing that stage setting being used in a live setting. Sounded really authentic.

• Like 1