Video Files on Forum ×

Saving User Data to Removable Media (USB Drive)

Brad Saucier

O.k  Here's the situation that I hope is NOT the case on the PX-5s,

One of my major problems with saving files on the MZ-2000 occur's when I categorically save all data to disk rather than individually saving items.  (eg: user tone data)  I find myself often with the user memory full and would like to save everything to disk in one shot.  The MZ allows you to save "all data" in categories.  (eg:  If I want to save all my user tones I select "Save" then "tone" then select "C. All execute")  One file is written to the disk containing all user tone's.  Now, this is nice but there's a problem.  There is no way to "individually" reload user tones contained in that file.  I am forced to reload the entire user bank.  If I want to be able to reload tones individually I have to individually save the user tones.

I've learned over time to save a user tone as soon as I create it so that I don't get to the point of having to save them all at once because this is a time consuming process on the MZ. (and it only holds 40 user tones on board :()   The PX-5s holds A LOT more than 40 :).  I hope the file system in the PX-5s has been changed to give the option to save all user tones categorically or individually and the ability to reload tones categorically or individually.   Any insight into this would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Brad,

The PX-5S is similar.  You currently can not extract elements from an ALL file.  

That being said the editor really solves this.  It has a transfer option that lets you grab Stage Settings or individual tones 10, 20, or ALL at once and save them onto your computer.  It takes just seconds.   

I was thinking about this some more.  In my original post I was looking for a way to extract individual user tones from an ALL file.  That idea is too complicated.   I think I now have a simpler aproach that may even be a possible easy add-on in a future firmware update (if one is expected) or future generations.   Instead of a redesigned file system, an additional command could be added that controls or "automates" the existing "individual save" function.  The command would simply run the existing SAVE function sequentially until all of the onboard tones (or any other user data category) are saved to disk.  This would achieve the goal of saving all of the user tones individually in one shot.  

I realize that the data editor is really the way to go when your near a computer.  But it may be just as simple to do it onboard the keyboard.  That being said, I'm not sure it really is that simple or even doable since I'm not a software programmer.  But if it is, it's worth a shot.  

I just thought I'd mention this in case it's a good idea.  Sometimes my ideas are _____. :)