Video Files on Forum ×

Drum patterns/Phrases

SonnyDaye

Saw Jerry playing great, as usual, in this clip:

Wondering how I can get that driving Drum Pattern that's playing behind him.

Also, looking for simple, ready to go, drum patterns of:

Basic, repetitive simple Jazz beats

Basic, repetetive swing beats

Bossa Novas

Other Latin beats

Basic, Rock beats

I've downloaded some midi files, converted them in the Editor, but have had problems turning them into basic, useable, ready to go drum patterns like you find in the Rhythm section of all the Casio keyboards (except the PX-5S

I'm think I heard Jerry say that the rhythm heard is an audio file of a real drum set playing from the USB stick.  That's the best way to get backing tracks for the PX-5s because the board is not designed for auto accomp.  I've put some phrases in the download section for some of those styles you mentioned.  Also there's some drum phrases already on board.  But still, the audio player with the usb stick is the best option.

Ahhh! I really don't want to go that route (audio files).

Sure wish the PX-5s had a Rhythm section like all their keyboards had for many decades.

Hoping someone can post some of the patterns I'm looking for in the Phrases section of the Downloads section here. That would REALLY be appreciated!

Thanks!

I afraid no one is going to be posting phrases.  I posted some of the few that are there and no more have appeared there in some time.  The community effort to add phrases to the download section is nearly non existent.  Would be nice if more people contributed phrases. To be fair though,  Casio designed this to be a stage piano for pro's.  Pro's often don't need or want built in rhythms and that's the main community of users who have the PX5s.  For home users, the PX-350 fills the need for rhythms. 

Sure wish the PX-5s had a Rhythm section like all their keyboards had for many decades.

I think they wanted the PX-5S to really stand out from any other KB they had made.. and being primarily designed for the professional stage I can see why this feature was left out. That being said, it backing drums and other tracks are very useful. 

Brad mentioned the USB stick - which I agree is probably the easiest way to do it.. heck if it's good enough for JK...

One other very simple way is to use and iPhone or Android-phone with a drum machine app  running into the mini-jack in the back. There are plenty of said apps and the rubber pads hold the  phone quite nicely. 

I have the same problem

I don't like writing drum loops

but

my two old drum machines died

So if  I put some audio drum loops in 

You can't have them on a pedal on/off or get the time when they come in just right

So

I now write a new drum loop nearly every day

Some terrible,boring, unoriginal,too loud and some just don't work

but every so often I do a good one and slowly I'm getting better at it.

I find most drum patterns apart from one or two drums or cymbals are pretty straight forward

The tricky bit might be the swing on the high hat or bass drum so I put them in last and delete the last take until I get it right

The good news is that if and when they do work they fit perfectly with my playing 'cause I wrote them

easy ?

no

I get about one out of about 15 attempts

but it now works for me

and I find even if I write a drum loop say with standard drums it may then sit better with another drum kit.

I must say it sounds to me that the drums have been e q'd well

because they sound great live.

I thought that since all sound was coming out of 1 or 2 channels one could say get the piano good

and the drums with no welly but not at all. Drums sound great.

ps    I have put drum loops in downloads

They're not great but they might get you started !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the biggest problem i found is the phrase section and drums i still cant figure out how to have the well working....putting a phrase as the drum rhythm....

also i figure out the is a minimal need for the phrases and arpeggios ,,of course the are funny played with MOOG sounds but where do i need a

5th harmonic up and down or a lot of other Arpeggios and Phrases.

maybe adding a minimal drum mode to the PX5S will boost the experience ...this stage piano needs drum sounds

I use the PX-5S explicitly as my drum machine.  After a few times programming phrases, it only takes a few minutes to lay down a 1 or 2 bar loop.  For variations, I create duplicate stage settings, but with the phrase variation loaded.  The pattern switches over without missing a beat (literally) when you switch between stage settings.  For fills, I leave the left side of the keyboard open to Zone 1 drums and just play over the top of the phrase.  I usually have pedal 2 set to start/stop the phrase.

Since we gig in mono, I am considering panning the drums hard right and the other tones hard left and running two line-out/DIs to the mixer.  I practice with headphones, though, and don't want to have to listen to it directly in my ears panned that way.  I'm still trying to figure that one out.  I'll probably either forgo the idea altogether, or convert the headphone signal to mono.

• Like 1