Video Files on Forum ×

The Casio CZ-1

dc2k

This was a real fun instrument, I had several of the custom "EZ" cartridges that had 4 DIP switches to load 4 banks of sounds of 32 each, plus a huge softcover programming book that had some truly unique "real world" sounds like glass breaking, car accidents, animal sounds, weasel farts, can't remember who created this book.  Did alot of programming on it. The ring modulator was also very cool. and it was constructed very solidly-metal case made it fairly heavy but not too bad. The keys were pretty solid too. Too bad the XWs don't have that same "heavy metal jacket" case, would be nice.Hmmm.........XW/CZ case..............no that's too much of a mod!

Jokeyman, one of the selling points of the XW was its lightness! Giving it a CZ1, or worse still, FZ1 style case would require owners to undertake weight training before they'd be able to carry the XW's anywhere!  :P

CZ's are still amazing boards now, the sheer depth of the sounds that can be created through the 8 stage envelopes is immense.

The heaviest part of it (yep I took this one apart too and voided my warranty even back then) was the particle board bottom! if you've ever had "potato bud" furniture, you know how heavy it is. The top part opened up, and was actually not very heavy-of course, the XWs lack of weight is very nice, I think the CZ was about 30+ pounds, it did seem to weigh a ton. I gave up trying to carry my TS-12 (50 pounds plus) and why I also have the PX-350 which isn't much heavier than the XW, amazing and yes a huge selling point at least it was for me.

• 6 months later...