Video Files on Forum ×

PX-150 and android tablet

Cristian

Hello!
Does anyone connected the PX-150 or similar to an Android tablet?!
I have tried with Walkband app and Pianist with no soccess. Theoretically it should work, but the tablet/app doesn't recognize the keyboard.

My tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab3 running Android 4.2, not rooted.

Thank you!

If you are trying to get the PX to "see" the Android tablet as it would be recognized in Windows with a midi or usb driver installed, there are no comparable drivers that have been created for using with the Android operating system (yet). I have the PX350 and XW and have not had any success. Only iPad applications are specifically designed to work with the Casios, and the iPad needs a separate camera kit dongle to become midi connected as far as I know (I don't use an iPad).

There has been considerable discussion in another post here about the lack of support for outboard midi in the Android world. Android is actually a variation of Linux, so some independent developer may still have created a driver I don't know about since Linux has drivers that can be installed and used with din midi or usb midi ports. Even the so-called "OTG" drivers and interface that enables you to plug in an outboard hard drive, thumb drive, camera or other USB device with an Android smartphone or tablet is not designed for midi at least none that I have seen. If the Walkband designers have created a true MIDI driver that recognizes the PX, I would be very surprised and will be very happy if it works. I will try it out today with my PX-350 and see what happens (I have OTG tablets)  Look at this:

http://www.androidpit.com/usb-otg-what-it-means-and-how-to-use-it

I took a look at the app.. it states you can "You can connect your YAMAHA, Roland midi keyboard/controller with Walk Band.".. so perhaps those are the only brands it supports? 

Time will come when Android will be great for music, just as the PC has caught up to the Mac.. but for now anyone trying to do serious music making on a 'Droid is in for a lot of frustration and disappointments. You can pick up a used iPad very cheap these day.. just with the free synth apps alone it justifies the price. (IMO). 

Actually there are quiet some android stuff available mostly stuff to specific brands that annoying with android. 

There is an app n-track as one of the many app available with gets the "?" from me as but

will it work mark on it.

I'm rooting for Android-L as Google finally does "something"  hope they will improve

on its audio feature for low latency and good audio playback keep an eye on that particular android

version. 

Hello, back again! Thank you all very much for your inputs.
I have tried again, this time with my rooted phone (Galaxy S+) with no result, again.

However, the problem is somehow layered, being tricky to connect any device to an Android phone with an OTG cable on the first hand. Once general mounting/connecting problem is solved comes the MIDI device connection challenge.
Tried different drivers/methos yet but - as someone mentioned somewhere - the solution is architecture dependent so it's not easy. There's not an universal "pnp"-style solution... I'll keep trying, however and, as Scott said, I am sure the solution from Android devs is around the corner.

Cheers!

as Scott said, I am sure the solution from Android devs is around the corner.

I said "time will come", not "around the corner".. two very different turn of phrases.  :)  Let me put it another way: Don't hold your breath.  :blink:

If you are serious about making music on a phone or tablet, get an iOS device. You can pick up a used iPod touch or older iPad on the cheap. Even if you get the Android working with the PX, the iOS world is where it's at musically and will be for quite a while. A long while.