Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5s keybed Hammer repair

Cooleyman

My PX-5s was dropped and now many of the upper keys do not 'pop' back up. Feels like the hammer action mechanism is broken on those keys. I'd like to open it up myself and attempt the repair but am not sure if the parts will be available if I need them.

Anyone have experience with this, would I be wasting my time trying to repair it myself?

Thanks for any advice!

I can't help you with the the how-to, but I can't point you to the parts: You may want to join the PX-5S/560 Facebook Group as well - much larger user base over there - I know a couple people who have opened up their PX-5S:

Casio Parts:

East Coast Service Location 
Casio America, Inc.
ATTN: Repair Center
570 Mt. Pleasant Ave.
Dover, NJ 07801
Phone: 1(800) 706-2534 and choose option 2

West Coast Service Location
The Time Machine
2335 Honolulu Avenue
Suite B
Montrose, CA 91020
Phone: 818-249-6007
Fax: 818-249-9412

• Like 1

OK, check this out, then decide whether to call the guys at Casio tech support.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2546355/all/And_so_it_begins_Paint_project

This is not my PX350 in the above post but you can read my posts here with pictures as I did a mod to add new felt padding strips to the keys to eliminate the "clunk" that developed from my somewhat hammered-on PX350 as the factory felt strips became compacted. I did a complete tear-down as did this poster at Music Player forums. AFAIK, the PX5s is pretty similar in mechanical construction-I think this poster also did this to a PX5s although I can't find that right now but I seem to recall studying that post somewhere as well.

The posts here under PX350 section will give you extensive descriptions regarding the difficulties and caveats involved-with this as with any Casio or other techno equipment, you destroy your warranty so think carefully. Unless you are pretty experienced with keyboard tear-downs I would give it to Casio repair. I have had a very positive experience restoring my botched attempt at upgrading the firmware of my XW-P1, including meeting Mr. Mike Martin at the Dover, NJ facility (very cool, he is quite a wonderful gentleman and knowledgable pro..as you can see from his tutorials-and I got a Privia t-shirt!)

You will see after studying my PX350 pics and the post from above, the PX5s looks almost identical as far as the top panel contruction. You also have benefit of no speakers which I needed to take apart before I could get to the entire keybed assembly. Positively speaking, getting the top panel off is actually quite do-able IMO and this may be all you need to do to fix the problem you describe. if you are lucky, you have not broken anything and have simply jammed some of the fulcrum arms out of position, or popped keys out of the slots and you may be able to put these back in position-carefully! The keyboard frame is 'engineering plastic"-is pretty resilient (flexible) yet pretty sturdy so its possible there is no physical damage. and you will be able to see enough with the top panel off to get an idea of what is wrong (I think!)

One other cautionary tale....I have rebuilt quite a few keyboards over the span of the Pleistocene era, going back to old Wurlitzers, Hammond B and C3s and up to the current food group of major keyboard families-Yammies, Kurzweil, Ensoniq (a real b****!) and even old Generalmusic monstrosities as well as many modules and digital stuff including computers desktop and laptop. I am still alive because

1) I avoided electrocuting myself and because

2) I didn't jump out a window after foaming at the mouth from hours of solder and burnt electric parts fumes, smashed fingers and stripped screws-fortunately i mostly lived in first floor homes which was always reassuring when i felt the need. So good luck and again, there is always Casio tech support and repair. :)

• Like 1