Video Files on Forum ×

px-5s as controller

Hello- I often use my px-5s as a controller connected to the sounds of a Hammond sk-1 but I've been finding that as I'm playing live with the band, the keys often cut out during the song--ie nothing plays intermittently when the keys are stroked. I checked all of my cords and they seem OK--what could cause this and how would I remedy the situation.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So all audio is coming from the SK1? Just the MIDI cable from the Privia to SK1 and then the audio out of the SK1 to speaker?

If so, then do this test, can you play the SK1 sound on the same MIDI channel as you are controlling? If so and it sounds, the Privia is screwing up. If it is silent, then somehow the Privia is turning off the sound (Volume????) via MIDI. Maybe one of the Privia controllers is sending out a volume of zero.

OK-- I might need an expert for this one.  When I play the sk-1 by itself on the same channel (1) it plays fine. When I play a different midi instrument (as BradMZ suggested) the problem doesnt happen.  I've located the exact place where it does--When I hit the D, G or A above middle C medium or hard, the first time I hit it , it doesn't play.  Thereafter, if I hit it again, it does play.  What is going on? Is there something wrong with my Privia?

HI BRADMZ-- It doesnt happen when I'm playing the sk-1 by itself and the privia is fine by itself--it only happens, intermittently, when I'm playing the privia as a controller for the sounds on the sk-1.  i tried using a different piano as controller for the sk-1 and it didn't occur--only with the privia. What do you think?

chiming in here, if both keyboards function fine independently, i would check the sk1s midi setup.  is after touch active or is there a velocity cutoff or other velocity related parameters?  is there an upper and lower keyboard setting on the sk1?  is the px transmitting multiple zones on the same channel?  if zone 1 and zone 2 are outputting on the same channel, that double note may be screwing up the sk1s interpretation of the midi event.  youd have to systematically eliminate possibilites to track down the issue.

one thing to do is use a computer to monitor all of the px output and see if any midi notes/events aren't being tranmitted.  something like midiox could do that or even a daw.  you could record you midi playing on a daw from the px and then play it back to see if anything is getting lost.