Video Files on Forum ×

Clicky Key

Jellybean

My long-anticipated PX-560 arrived new with a single key (F2) that makes an audible "click" when it pops back up. The click is faint, but distracting. Returning it wouldn't be a simple task for me, so I'm trying to decide whether this is something I can live with. Obviously the instrument shouldn't click right out of the box and I probably have the right to a return, but presuming I really don't want to go through the hassle of returning it, is clicking an inevitable element of wear and tear that I could expect to eventually start popping up in other keys if I owned the instrument for a few years, or is it a major flaw that simply shouldn't be happening?

Maybe not a major flaw, but a flaw that shouldn't be happening if I can base my opinion on my other PX Casios. and even with prolonged playing, you should not expect this to happen on other keys. check the visible surfaces of the key in question-it might be hitting some part of the case above or below-even if not obviously visible, since the key will travel a tiny bit further on rebound, it might appear as if it is not hitting anything but actually is. And try to determine where the click is coming form (not so easy yes but when i diagnose instruments it is important). if inside, you might need to return it. You may also try to flexing the key around (carefully!-don't break it) and see if the click goes away. This means part of the key is just barely hitting something-not clearing some part of it's rebound. Otherwise, possibly something in under the key is broken, and causing the key to not stop in its return motion where it is supposed to. this might cause it to hit the top of the case somewhere.....just a guess. Hope I helped.

I tried gently flexing it as you recommended, and flexing it a bit to the left and slowly releasing seems to remove the click temporarily (it seems like it creeps back in after a number of less careful presses). I suppose that means there's some kind of small alignment problem and maybe the 'default' position is not quite right? At any rate I think I will take a while to feel out whether it remains reduced/removed/controllable or creeps back in right away during normal play. Thanks so much for the suggestion, though, I didn't realize I'd be able to do anything about it on my own at all.