Video Files on Forum ×

Using the pads for chord sequence

LloydP

I beginning to feel like an idiot!  I want to set a 6 chord sequence into one pad of varying bar lengths so I can have the keyboard play the chord sequence while I concentrate on doing more with both hands free for counter melody and so forth.  So far I keep going in circles and neither the owners nor tutorial are helping much.

Assume I have not clue, what are the steps to do this?  And how do you get it to play with a rhythm with the whole keyboard doing other things?

thanks

I've gotten far enough to see a screen that allows for changing the chord sequence.  It shows 4 chords but doesn't seem to allow me to create an additional one.  Very manual it seems and possibly only 4 chords are allowed.  I can live with that and just use more than one pad I suppose.  I'm going to spend a bit more time fiddling with it today as this was one of the things that led me to the MZ-X500.

Kind of a shame that the 'tutorial' manual is not much in the way of actual tutoring, more just some examples that are minimally explained.

A doable alternative could be to create a backing set of chords and styles and play along with that, in the end that might be easier and less cumbersome to do.

Ok. I'm not sure where you were in the menus, probably the bank select screen it sounds like. I have used the chord sequence thing a couple of times. It's pretty handy.  Try this...

1. Press menu>pad. Pad 1 should be highlighted in red.

2. Press record>chord

3. Press record setting to set length, precount, metronome, beat

4. Press accomp on/off button. It should be lit.

5. Press the standby play button that is flashing or start playing chords. 

6. Press stop.

7. Test your recording. Press loop and hold to force the pad to keep playing in a loop without needing to hold it.  

8. To save the new user chord sequence, press pad edit>write...

9. To save the new user pad bank, press bank edit> write

10. To save the user pad bank in a registration, hold the store button while pressing a registration button.  

11. To synchronize accompaniment start with the pad, hold synchro and press a pad. It will flash. Press accompaniment play button to start the show.  Enjoy!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

Ok. I'm not sure where you were in the menus, probably the bank select screen it sounds like. I have used the chord sequence thing a couple of times. It's pretty handy.  Try this...

2. Press record>chord

6. Press stop.

5. Test your recording. Press loop and hold to force the pad to keep playing in a loop without needing to hold it.  

6. To save the new user chord sequence, press pad edit>write...

7. To save the new user pad bank, press bank edit> write

8. To save the user pad bank in a registration, hold the store button while pressing a registration button.  

9. To synchronize accompaniment start with the pad, hold synchro and press a pad. It will flash. Press accompaniment play button to start the show.  Enjoy!

That works! Thank you!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

2. Press record>chord

6. Press stop.

5. Test your recording. Press loop and hold to force the pad to keep playing in a loop without needing to hold it.  

6. To save the new user chord sequence, press pad edit>write...

7. To save the new user pad bank, press bank edit> write

8. To save the user pad bank in a registration, hold the store button while pressing a registration button.  

9. To synchronize accompaniment start with the pad, hold synchro and press a pad. It will flash. Press accompaniment play button to start the show.  Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for that, Brad, you're the man. :applause:

I know you don't normally respond to compliments BRAD.

I feel you must be an incredibly modest man, as well as being astonishingly knowledgeable when it comes to the X500!

Well, modest you may be, but someone has to make it very clear to you, Brad, how much of an invaluable one-man "resource" you have been, and continue to be, to all members of the Forum, and, by definition, owners of the X500.

I stated my opinion, some weeks ago, that, despite the X500 being almost impossible to purchase, any longer, ( if you're a U.K/EUROPEAN musician ), still the "life" of the keyboard can be a long, and very full, one, thanks to the genuine brilliance, and wide-ranging knowledge, of, dare I say, the consistently present, "Core" membership!

By "Core membership" I obviously refer to members such as : yourself Brad, Rick S., AlenK, Silvano, Carter, Casiokid, Lobbard, Leonh, Randelph and several others.

I believe, still, as I did when I posted my opinion ( concerning how essential this Forum is to the life of the X500 ), all those weeks ago, that so long as this "core membership" remains solid and consistent, then the X500 will remain relevant to the music of today AND the future!

And I have no doubt that anyone and everyone who may be reading this will have no problem with my insisting that, if that consistency of the membership is important -

- then YOUR presence, Brad, is absolutely essential, period!!

Take care all

Chris

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Songwriter2015 said:

I know you don't normally respond to compliments BRAD.

I feel you must be an incredibly modest man, as well as being astonishingly knowledgeable when it comes to the X500!

Well, modest you may be, but someone has to make it very clear to you, Brad, how much of an invaluable one-man "resource" you have been, and continue to be, to all members of the Forum, and, by definition, owners of the X500.

I stated my opinion, some weeks ago, that, despite the X500 being almost impossible to purchase, any longer, ( if you're a U.K/EUROPEAN musician ), still the "life" of the keyboard can be a long, and very full, one, thanks to the genuine brilliance, and wide-ranging knowledge, of, dare I say, the consistently present, "Core" membership!

By "Core membership" I obviously refer to members such as : yourself Brad, Rick S., AlenK, Silvano, Carter, Casiokid, Lobbard, Leonh, Randelph and several others.

I believe, still, as I did when I posted my opinion ( concerning how essential this Forum is to the life of the X500 ), all those weeks ago, that so long as this "core membership" remains solid and consistent, then the X500 will remain relevant to the music of today AND the future!

And I have no doubt that anyone and everyone who may be reading this will have no problem with my insisting that, if that consistency of the membership is important -

- then YOUR presence, Brad, is absolutely essential, period!!

Take care all

Chris

AMEN!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

pour moi, je préférè utiliser les presets que les pads pour les suites d' accords. voir la page FR 36 du totoriel pour l' edition, c'est plus facile pour jouer des 2 mains.....

for me, I prefer to use the presets that the pads for the progression of chords. to see the page FR 36, of the tutorial for edition,  easier to play with the 2 hands ...

a +

• 3 years later...

Thank you for the video. I can't see what section of the keyboard you are playing chords in, but I do not hear auto accompaniment detecting your chords.  Make sure you are playing chords in the accompaniment section of keys on the left side of the keyboard, same as when you use chords with a rhythm in real-time. You will know it has detected your chords when the sound changes and you see a chord detected on the lower left corner of the screen.

I am starting with the first cord on lowest note E. All notes are played below middle C. See attached picture. When I went into the Cord Event Edit screen I saw the below. All it had was the items shown and nothing else. Like it started to develop something. I deleted the "dampener" and "modulation" entries in case they were causing the problem and then manually entered the cords I wanted to play. I left the "Tone" line in since I wanted to use the "Pop Piano" tone. I can now get it to play but the strange thing is, is that the tone is that of an "Organ" not a "Pop Piano". Also I can't get it to sync with the drums rhythm when I start to play.

Very frustrating. Thanks for any help you can provide.

IMG_20211023_170910.thumb.jpg.bd96fd69e565c64a0e26f624951c6017.jpgIMG_20211023_171528.thumb.jpg.aec72cd168f23c820f0acc4420b94bc8.jpgIMG_20211023_172225.thumb.jpg.320ac542f636b038b5ad3ebd763d998d.jpg

Yes. When I start to play the song "Don't Stop Believin'" the drum rhythm starts immediately that I have programed on the "variation 1" tab. I have a music preset I created called "Don't Stop to use the drum rhythm and also have "Auto Cord" turned on. On the "Main" screen in the "Sub-Menu" area you can see the rhythm selection and the pad choice. I have also created a midi file called "Don't" that contains a bass guitar tone that currently lasts 8 measures. But I can't get it to automatically start when I start playing. So as soon as I play the lower "E" note the drum rhythm starts but nothing else.IMG_20211023_190911.thumb.jpg.d9e70ca43571e727b7b96015311c665e.jpgIMG_20211023_191012.thumb.jpg.78f6d87c96d23ad8c5970f77932df856.jpg 

Thanks.

While recording a chord sequence to a pad, verify accompaniment is turned on (button is lit blue) and that the screen displays the chord type you have played.  It should be noted that chord sequences do not record actual notes.  It records detected chord types.  If the display does not show chord types while recording, the recording will be unsuccessful.  This usually means accompaniment is not configured properly to detect chords during recording.  

My screen looks just like yours but it is not detecting the keyboard? The cord values are not showing up on the screen. I can hear the cords as I play? Strange. Thanks for sticking with me on this.

I changed my cord type on the rhythm screen to be Fingered 1 and now the cords show up in the bottom left of the display. So I guess I can't use "Full Range".

Next question, how do I change the tone to not be "Organ"?

Edited by Gregor Lichtenberger
Added more info.