Video Files on Forum ×

CT-X hype coming to a halt?

In my case the CT-X hype is over..

Watched some demo's of it, and while especially the CT-X700 is bang for buck it's just that the 800/3000/5000 are great machine but are lacking..

This is a Casio forum, i love Casio with all my heart but.

- 64 notes of polyphony on an instrument that costs $500? PSR S-670 costs the same and has double that amount of polyphony.

- Solo voices, voices with vibrato built in. Pretty neat, but Technics have been doing that since 1992 and Yamaha since 1996 (Calling it sweet voices) And the S-670 has that aswell + Megavoices)
- Authentic Effects built into a sound, you mean like Technics did in the early 90s with the KN2000/KN3000? Cool.

- 4 Variations, again, PSR S-670 costs the same, has the same variations.

Sure the CT-X700 is unbeatable for the price in terms of sounds, because where the $200 Casio sounds like an $500 machine, the $200 Yamaha (Which is the E3xx series) Still sounds like a mid 90s PSR..

However, The CT-X700 sounds the same (give or take a few DSPs) Than the CT-X5000 which costs $500.. So the CT-X5000 sounds like a $200 Keyboard?

The drums are incredible, great stuff that they're doing with guitars, and cool that they're finally implementing something that sound like Sweet! Voices, but apart from that... Are they really that innovative?

I mean, $500 for the CT-X5000 can also buy you a Tyros 1, or a PSR 9000 and a CT-X700..

Let's discuss, what makes them stand out?

To be precise, in Europe, the Psr s670  (550 euros) costs only  100 euros  more than the CT-X5000. Which imo makes the Psr a much better bargain (vs X5000).

Therefore my dilemma is now: CT-X3000 (350 euros) or pay 200 euros more for the Superior Psr s670 ?   Decision will be made as soon as i have put my hands in a shop on a X3000 (having already played the s670).

Does the s670 sound  "200 euros better" than the CT-X3000 ?   We'll see !

As for the CT-X700, even at 250 euros, it is still the best choice vs Psr E453/463..

Ah Brad, i had no idea... in The Netherlands it's different, keyboards are cheaper here (But Cars more expensive lol)

Mirka, i would say that it depends, the CT-X700 is compared to the E453/463 the better choice if you don't care about the 2 assignable knobs, and if you could care less about the sweet voices and better styles.

The CT-X5000 compared to the S-670 is a completely different beast, the S-670 has the same soundset as the old Tyros 1, and that machine still sounds great to this day (16 years after it's initial release) But still, if you're a home user and you don't ask for much from your instrument then you should go for the X5000, if you occasionnally use it with a band and you're really making lots of arrangements on it and stuff like that you should go for the S-670 in my opinion.

I always used Yamaha's for gigs and rehearsals, i gigged once with a Medeli and with a CTK-731 keyboard and it went awful, even with the E-403 that i had back then it went much better.. Don't know about the X-5000 but the S-670 (And Yamaha's in general for that matter) Just sound more dynamic through a PA than the Casio's i've played with..

• Like 1

So, i  have finally tried a CT-X3000 ! (I had to stand in a line, so the hype is still there !)

Cons:

-  Speakers are just "ok", but that was to be expected due to their size. I will use  active monitors, so not a big issue for me.

-  Some "toyish" sounds coming from older Casio's i imagine. I wonder why they included them !  To reach the 800 instruments number i guess, which i don't think was a good  idea because they kind of "spoil" a little the general impression of the keyboard.

Plus

-  Good feel on the keys. Imo better than on Psr's.

-  Good/Realistic quality and "character" of most instruments (listening through my good headphones that i brought).

I want to insist on "Character" because it is the reason why my decision is to get  the X3000 instead of the Psr s670.

Instruments on the Psr are "cleaner". The samples are, i think,  technically of better quality  but they lack "personality" vs the good ones on the X3000 (Pianos, Electric Pianos, Organs, Basses, Drums +  some Guitars/Strings/Brass/Reed/Synths), which have this "bite"/"beef" (sorry for possibly the wrong words) that the Psr doesn't have.

(It reminds me of the same difference imo between Korg PA (more lively/with more character) and Yamaha PSR (cleaner/more neutral).

I think that a gigging "pro" keyboard player (with hiding the Casio logo !) could fool an audience with a  CT-X3000 (connected to an amplified system), because some Pianos, Electric Pianos, Organs and Synths are really good !

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 12:08 AM, BradgeMusicTube said:

Thanks for posting my video, lol. Basically the same stuff i said in the video i also said here..

😮Are you? I thought it was someone else talking about the same thing.

A greeting. And enjoy the day.😉

That's certainly true, the Electric Piano's and even some of the normal piano's and especially the Drawbarorgans can give the more expensive Yamaha's a run for their money!
And the brass sounds aren't more realistic than the Yamaha's i think, but they do have more bite, nice wordchoice there!

And yes Gnomo that is me :D My YouTube account was first called BradgeMusicTube, so that's why i created this username, but i've decided to change the name to KeyboardMaestro, but now i'm stuck with this old name as a username for this forum lol

• Like 1

I bought the Casio MZ X300 because of the Touch-Display, 2 Intros, 4 Variations, 2 Endings and Mixer Sliders(Drawbar organ), because I was interested in a better handling.  I wish the new CT-X 5000 had these properties. Sound category buttons are also important for changing sounds while playing(I cant see in X 3000, X800 or X 700). A Casio CTK 6200 has this. I will be interested in the next Casio models with AiX sounds. Hope with better handling and features.

I like the ctk 6200(category buttons, Dial wheel, Pitch bend) with small weight, which i use on my knee´s for jamming(5,7 kg - not more!). With Aix Sounds would be great.

I also wait for a short PX Stage Piano with hammer action - a PX 160 with 73 /76 keys for example (hope not with ivory textured keys).

I forgot to mention: after having played the X3000,  I spent a few minutes trying the new Psr E463, i can't say enough how boring that was!

The gap is big (soundwise) between the two, and in Europe they cost the same !!!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmlArASoz4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUs5vBB392E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIErCoEt1ns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeisATbyg7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okFfJ-0U88g

I think the hype will continue growing !

Also prices have gone a little down in Europe: x700/190euros,  X3000/333euros, X5000/433euros.  (X800 at 300euros is still "too expensive".)

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 11:12 AM, Gina said:

prices fell slightly

At these prices, Casio is the right choice.  Keep the $299 CT-X3000 in mind.  It's SO portable, and almost identical to the 5000. Amp it if required.  I've had mine over a week, and it's already made me a better musician.  It's a reinvented, very quickly interactive user design.  A few days getting used to.... Now I feel like I'm painting with sound.... A new experience compared to earlier keyboards.  

• 3 weeks later...