Video Files on Forum ×

CT-X3000 First impressions

Hi everyone,

This is not really a review, I'm not experienced enough to to pronounce on what is good, better or best. Apologies in advance therefore to you experienced guys but maybe beginners might glean something here.

I bought a Yamaha PSR E313 about twelve years ago and dabbled, eventually giving up when reaching my nemesis of not being able to read music quickly enough to progress. I went on to buying a lefty Yamaha Pacifica electric guitar and fared a little better aided by the more simplistic "tab" notation. A couple of years ago I acquired a Casio CTX-900 very cheaply and in honesty fell down at the sight reading hurdle once again.

I've decided to give it one more try, spurred on by watching eight and ten year olds in the family making steady progress through their lessons at school. 

Thinking that things must have advanced since my original Yamaha E313 I decided to treat myself to a new keyboard (thinking the amount of money spent might spur me on 🙂 ). Reading all the hype surrounding the new Casio I decided I needed to try one out. Its very tempting in these days of internet buying to be seduced by the lower prices than the brick and mortar music stores can offer, but I needed to see for myself.

Here, a big shout out is in order for Hobgobblin music store in Canterbury (UK). They responded quickly to my emails and yes, they had the new CTX in stock. Nothing was too much bother for them, answering my questions first, demoing the machine and then setting me up in the shop with a stool and headphones and a CT-X3000 to sit and try "for as long as you want to". 

The first thing that I like about the CT-X is the fact that it has "box" shaped keys, they look better. Not that I knew it at the time, but the touch sensitivity was on its "heavy" setting and the first few notes that I pressed made absolutely no sound at all - me being used to the lightweight key press demands of my old CTK-900s "diving board" keys. In all a much more satisfying and real piano like experience enabling more expression to be put into playing.

What I really hoped for was to be satisfied by the sound quality. Yes, I've listened to all the videos on YouTube but its not the same as sitting in a store and listening for real. Stage piano 001 was the first thing I heard from it. Superb! (especially considering the price of the machine) and then the guy demonstrated Nylon guitar 113 (SOLD at this point, but I wasn't going to tell him that).  I went out of the shop to feed the car park meter a few more coins and returned to sit contentedly in the corner with headphones on exploring to my hearts content. 

I'm now the proud owner of a new CT-X3000 and if you are just starting out looking for a machine I'd wholeheartedly recommend it. It looks cool, feels and sounds great. As a final thought, the 6w + 6w speakers made a very decent amount of (distortion free, as far as I could tell) noise when the guy was demoing the machine to me. This was a concern that I had that may have lead me to buy a 5000 instead, but 6w+6w is more than enough if you just play at home. 

I had thought about a 76 key keyboard and was briefly shown the WK-7600 first and while it is impressive looking and feature rich, its sound didn't excite me as much as the CT-X. I have agreed with the salesperson that IF (when?) Casio put the AiX sound engine into a 76 key machine I'll trade my 3000 in and buy one - IF that is, I can get to grips with this damn sight reading!

Alec.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alec this is for you, 

I'm a mainly beginners teacher, composer and Casio devotee since 1990, and I got my CT-X3000 a week ago.  Forget all your worries. I'll have you playing beautifully without a lot of reading, and I'll introduce you to learning reading at your own pace, while you're enjoying playing.  

I'll do this for free because you sound so well intentioned and enthusiastic.  We'll do it by video calls on whatever platform you like.  All I ask is that you pay my data charges (about $10/hr).  

I have an MA, teach keyboards for Guitar Center, and I'm a top 10 writer on learning piano/keyboard on Quora.  Want to get started?  Ken  

3 hours ago, invicta alec said:

Ken Madell,

Hey what a neat idea! Thanks buddy. I'm going to be travelling abroad for the next couple of weeks, so can I contact you again when I get back?

Alec.

Absolutely, we'll have some fun.  Being new to this site, I'm not sure about the best way to reach me, but I should be active here, and I'm supposed to get notified of replies.  I'll look for you.  Ken 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ken,

I owe it to you, to keep you in the loop. Today I'm back in my home, this time last week I was undergoing unexpected major heart surgery following a heart attack. I know that I'm about to start many weeks, if not months, of recuperation. For quite how long it will delay our proposed on line training sessions I'm not sure. Bear with me please.

Alec.

7 hours ago, invicta alec said:

Ken,

I owe it to you, to keep you in the loop. Today I'm back in my home, this time last week I was undergoing unexpected major heart surgery following a heart attack. I know that I'm about to start many weeks, if not months, of recuperation. For quite how long it will delay our proposed on line training sessions I'm not sure. Bear with me please.

Alec.

Dear Alec,  

I am very sorry to hear about your medical event.  But, here you are.... doctoring these days can be quite amazing.  I had a stroke a year ago, and was unconscious for almost a month.  Here am I,  good as new.  

How are you feeling right now?  

Keep in touch,   Ken 

2 minutes ago, invicta alec said:

in a word......delicate. Very delicate!

Alec.

Alright,  well just relax and be confident.  Your body is pretty smart about healing.  At first it takes some time, but then you can almost feel it kick back into gear, and that your going to be alright again. 

• 1 month later...

Hi!
I apologize for the mistakes, my English is not very strong.
I just bought a CT-X3000 now.
Compared to a WK-3300, unfortunately, its sound is not nearly as good, it looks very plastic, box-like.
The sound of the WK-3300 is much clearer and livelier.
Additionally, the CT-X3000 loudspeaker has a constant noise (hiss), regardless of the volume.
Is it like others? Or did I get a wrong copy?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Joe Muscara said:

I have a CT-X700 and the CT-X5000 and haven't noticed any hiss. I think it sounds great. Can you go to the store where you bought it and try another, or did you buy online? If so, you might want to see what the dealer can do.

I bought online. I've been writing to the trader, maybe they're answering...

• 2 years later...

Alec,
An old thread, I know, but I congratulate you on your choice of the Casio CT-X3000.
The AiX sound quality has to be heard to be believed ... incredible.

I went into the music store in 2020 to buy a Yamaha, but came out with the Casio ... no contest at all.

Plus the features and synth sounds were way beyond its price range. 

Hope you have stuck with the sight reading.

Everyone learns differently, don't they.

I found the E-Z Play Today music books to be the ideal way to learn to play.

With great titles, like songs from West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera, Beatles etc.

Notation can be played with/without easy chord accompaniment, and is very easy to read and understand.