Video Files on Forum ×

560 and second keyboard questions

luckyluca

Hi, I'm in search for a digital piano, I'm after a good keybed for the odd piano practice and don't plan on gigging at all.

I'm basically after a good keybed and ideally lots of sounds incl. pads, synths, sequencer and speaker are bonus and well accepted.

I'm seriously considering the px560 because of the added value, sequencer, touchscreen, range of sounds including synths, drums and ability to save music to usb and finally it has ok speakers.

I'm going to complement it with a nord lead a1, and play both together, here are some questions to any 560 owner I'd love to shed some light on:

-Can i plug the nla1 via lineIn, turn on the casio and simply use the px560 as speakers?

-Can I play both keyboards and have both sounds coming via the casio speakers?

-Similarly, can I record the nord lead a1 via linein to one of the tracks of the sequencer?

-Can I connect the two via midi, play and record 4 midi tracks using the nla1 and subsequently record the result back to the sequencer as sound using the linein?

-Finally, how do you find the casio px 560?
Oh any alternative worth considering, maybe something more expensive?

I'm looking at the kawai mp7se, used nord piano3, yamaha cp4. anything else i might be forgetting?

p.s. I don't need a stage piano, I need a good keybed for home piano practice and sequencer and composing. I just happen to like the casio560 features.

many thanks
Luca

The MIDI recorder is only for internal MIDI.  It does record audio in any form.  The only audio recording ability is in the USB thumb drive port, which records everything being heard through the speakers as a stereo wave file.    

I have a PX-5S, which is the same keybed as PX-560.  I love mine.  I've played real pianos I didn't like as much.  

no worries.

I get it now.

But would the following be feasible then:

play the px560 keybed and record a track whilst sending midi to the second keyboard and its sound back to the px560 via lineIn?

effectively drive the nord lead a1 from the px560 and thanks to the px560 linein capability hear the combined output?

I know the nord lead a1 allows up to 4 midi streams to control its 4 synths. If the above works I could theoretically have up to 4 tracks on the px560 recorded on it and the sounds coming from the nla1.

i really really want to like the px560, i just need to figure out if i can find a way to compose using 2 keyboards with it without spending more money on speakers and a daw and pc.

thx

Luca

According to the settings shown on page EN-79 and the diagram on page A-5 in the PX-560 User's Guide, the MIDI sequencer does not output any data to external devices. The PX-560 will only output live keyboard playing on one (selectable) MIDI channel and the accompaniment on several other MIDI channels. Unless whatever the accompaniment is doing is usable to you for driving your Nord Lead, or you are fine with just a single sound from the Nord played in real time on the 560's keyboard while recording everything into the 560's audio recorder,  it doesn't look like the PX-560 will do what you want. 

thanks, that might be alright for what i need.

the only thing is the Keybed, i like its action but I've heard keys can become clanky and noisy over time.

in fact the demo keyboard i tried at the shop today had this issue along with a sticky mod wheel.

i tried a Juno ds88 beneath it and quite like its action too tbh.