Video Files on Forum ×

Ready to create a User Rhythm?

Ken Madell

Though usually fabulous, a really suitable rhythm can not always be found.  Now we can make our own.  I like to learn the ropes by doing something.  It took me 2 days to absorb the massive 13 pages of instructions, and create my first user rhythm for a children's song I need to perform soon.  And I'm very happy with it, and all I learned while creating it.

For anyone interested, I think I can get you started pretty easily.  There is absolutely no need to get your music right on the first try.  It's a very interactive, integrated system that makes it easy to try out, alter, improve and discover new musical ideas.  I tried, and threw away so many ideas, but it was interactive and easy to improve.  (The rhythm editor can also be used as a tool to study and learn from the keyboard's existing content.)  

YOU EITHER:

0. alter an existing rhythm ONLY by making MIXER changes to any or all the parts of an existing rhythm.  This in itself is so versatile, allowing you to turn any parts off, or change each parts tone, volume, effects and pan.  

1. find an existing rhythm that is close to what you want, and alter it by clearing or replacing parts with other existing parts from other rhythms, or adding your own new parts; then replace the old version, or save it as a new user rhythm.

2. start a new user rhythm by copying any parts of any combinations of existing rhythms into it, and then adding whatever new material you need.

3. start a new user rhythm entirely from scratch, writing all the parts yourself.

4. use all the editing functions to just isolate, study, immitate, and learn from any of the great music in the rhythm library.

Before you start, get familiar with using the 4 arrow buttons in the mixer.  It's easy.  

TO START:

In rhythm mode, you just select  an existing, or 'No Data' rhythm, then long press 'function/edit' to enter the rhythm editor.  Then long press 'part/mixer' to enter the mixer.  Then press the key for whatever accompaniment pattern you want to be messing with.  

The really great thing is that you can easily and interactively  'loop listen' to any accompaniment pattern, and/or any individual part in it, WHILE you are in the mixer and able to alter the tone, volume, and effects (and play along).  To move from part to part, just push the mixer 'arrow' button.  To flip from hearing the single part to hearning the whole accompaniment, just press the 'enter' button.  While you change anything, you are listening to what it does.  

Recording a new part is just as interactive.  After entering record standby by pressing the record/stop button, you 'long press' the 'accomp' button for rehearsal mode.  The mixer is still active, so you can change tones and effects to find what sounds perfect, while rehearsing.  Then move immediately when ready into actual recording.  Recording is done by loop overdubbing, and when it's right, just press 'stop'.  If you goofed, just clear the part and try again.  

The manual really doesn't explain this well, as it is focussed on all the details.   STAY IN THE MIXER.  Most functions keep operating while you are in the mixer, and while you are loop listening, so it's a nice, interactive process.  

There are a few VERY IMPORTANT unlabeled button functions used in the rhythm editor.

1. Registration buttons 1 2 and 8.  1 is to copy any accompaniment pattern or part into the pattern you are editing.  2 is to clear your pattern or any part in it.  8 is your MENU for setting parameters like number of measures and beats, part playback settings, and effects. 

2. Long press 'record/stop' to setup recording options like precount and default chord.  

3. Long press 'accomp' to enter rehearsal mode, to get  completely prepared to record.

For most of this you are still working within the mixer, so you can be changing tones, volumes and parts interactively.  IT IS SO WORTH A DAY GETTING REALLY FLUENT WITH WHAT YOU CAN DO.  A few operations, I don't remember which, will cause you to exit the mixer.  Just long press the mixer button and reactivate it.  

Now, I suggest perusing the 13 pages in your manual, while keeping this orientation in mind.  Then take a go.

I started with variations 1 and 2 of rhythm 44, 6/8Blues, which just touched on being what I needed.  I added a new guitar part, which worked, and motivated me to make some mixer changes, and add a horn part.  After a full day of trial and error, here's my 'Mexican' user rhythm, and the song in mind while creating it.  This is my first time doing anything like this.   I'd love some feedback. Ken 

No Good file

No Good file

I SEE I CAN FIX THIS.... HERE ARE THE GOOD FILES

MexiHat.mp3

Mexican.mp3

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Every day I'm learning something new with my 3000.  This post can supercede the previous; it's better.  I've enjoyed and learned from trying most of my musical ideas on portable Casios for quite a few years.  If you're like me, you've found them musically motivating, but still 'not quite there' as completely capable instruments.  My first week with the 3000 has told me that it is a completely mature, new and beautifully designed musical instrument. 

It's very well designed for interactive musical creation.  Now that I am fluent in operating it, I feel like I'm 'painting with sound'.  Touching the right button or two is very natural, and feels to me like an artist changing paint brushes for a new effect.   First you do your musical sketch.  Then add features.  Then do your next layer where you fix all the mistakes, and so on; very fluid.  

Here's my first example from my first week.  Keep in mind, I'm still focused a little on children's music, because that's the event I'm preparing for.

Needed a Mexican rhythm for the Hat Dance.  Closest thing was rhythm 44  6/8Blues; not very exciting.  Added a guitar part and was very happy.  Decided to develop a full 4 variation user rhythm.  It took a day, but I learned so much by the sound orchestration and tweaking I had to do to get it just right ( Mexi R&D ).  Here's the finished song ( Mexi Hat ).   

I like very much the idea that was suggested, that we start contributing to each other, any good creations we come up with. 

3000 can make beautiful music, practically as easy as sight reading a fake book ( BEAUTY 1 ).  

It plays a full classical piano repertoire from the free Casio 'Chordana Play Piano' app from your smartphone.  The app was designed for Casio piano models, but recognizes the CT-X as a Casio, and let's you play the 100 classical masterpieces that sound great on the 3000 ( Chopin )  

Mexi R&D.mp3

Mexi Hat.mp3

BEAUTY 1.mp3

Chopin.mp3

• Thanks 1

Hi Ken,

Also got a CTX 3000 a couple days ago and spent most of the weekend learning how to do a user rhythm from scratch. I managed to succeed but took a while to get the hang of all the long press stuff and unlabeled buttons! I do think this is a great machine but one thing bothers me...can't save a rhythm variation to a registration button. While playing a song, would like to change tone and variation by just pushing  a regist button. 

Any ideas to pull that off?

I know Yamaha e-series boards can do it but not Casio? This seems to be a big goof on Casio's part.

1 hour ago, Midijunky said:

Hi Ken,

Also got a CTX 3000 a couple days ago and spent most of the weekend learning how to do a user rhythm from scratch. I managed to succeed but took a while to get the hang of all the long press stuff and unlabeled buttons! I do think this is a great machine but one thing bothers me...can't save a rhythm variation to a registration button. While playing a song, would like to change tone and variation by just pushing  a regist button. 

Any ideas to pull that off?

I know Yamaha e-series boards can do it but not Casio? This seems to be a big goof on Casio's part.

I think Casio tried to make EVERYTHING possible with a 3000, but it is such a completely improved redesign over previous models, I guess a few little bugs are understandable.  

THE MANUAL DOESN'T SAY THIS, BUT YOU HAVE TO PRESS THE 'SYNC' BUTTON B4 YOU PRESS THE VARIATION BUTTON, Then store to a registration.

I've run across one annoying bug(?)  with phrase pads.  Maybe you'll find the solution or operating mistake I'm making.  I saved a 4 bar 6/8 phrase, which appeared to record correctly.  But in loop playback in 6/8 time, the pad inserted a delay of a few beats before repeating.  ( Also a mistake in the manual, that says to 'long press record', to setup phrase pad recording parameters.  The setup is there without having to do that.  The 'long press' at that point doesn't do anything. )

I'm tolerant, because in addition to being a music teacher, I was a programmer for about 10 years, and I find the 3000 from both musical and technological standpoints, completely mind blowing and wonderful.  

I'm glad to hear you diving right in.  I ran into EXACTLY the same stuff with the unlabeled and long press button functions, but now see what a great design it is, and operate like I'm touch typing at 80 wpm.  Do you dare to share any of your early creations?  Any helpful feedback on my music?  

Ken

You are a life saver and just increased the value of my keyboard quite a bit! That syncho start first to save variations to registrations works perfectly, thank you so much! Where ever did you learn how to do that? I hope Casio includes this info in their next manual printing. 

I did listen to the mp3s you posted and was quite impressed! Good job for only a week of learning.  The phrase pad issue has me thinking. Could be a few things. Maybe the last bar you recorded was void of data the last few beats? Could be the beat you selected  was wrong?  Which brings me to my next complaint. When selecting a time signature, all it shows is the beat number. 1, 2, 3...etc. So you have to guess where you are. I was doing a 12/8 time and had to try a lot numbers before finding the right one.

Anyway, I'm posting the rhythm I worked on this weekend. Its not complete yet, , only variation 1, no intro, fills, end, etc. Its called A summer place.

Load it into your keyboard and see what you think. 🙂

SUMMERPL.AC7

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Midijunky said:

You are a life saver and just increased the value of my keyboard quite a bit! That syncho start first to save variations to registrations works perfectly, thank you so much! Where ever did you learn how to do that? I hope Casio includes this info in their next manual printing. 

I did listen to the mp3s you posted and was quite impressed! Good job for only a week of learning.  The phrase pad issue has me thinking. Could be a few things. Maybe the last bar you recorded was void of data the last few beats? Could be the beat you selected  was wrong?  Which brings me to my next complaint. When selecting a time signature, all it shows is the beat number. 1, 2, 3...etc. So you have to guess where you are. I was doing a 12/8 time and had to try a lot numbers before finding the right one.

Anyway, I'm posting the rhythm I worked on this weekend. Its not complete yet, , only variation 1, no intro, fills, end, etc. Its called A summer place.

Load it into your keyboard and see what you think. 🙂

SUMMERPL.AC7

Sharing musical ideas in the forum is definitely the way to go.  Now I know just how to start, when doing my own first 'from scratch' rhythm.  Minor stroke of musical genius adding the strings to bind it all together, nice.  A simple approach can make some very usable music.  Also notice from my example, how useful altering, and adding to an existing rhythm can be.  You benefit by having some very close to suitable fills, plus your intro and ending.  

It's my respect for Casio's integrity that got me the answer to the registration problem.  There had to be a way to do it; so I just tried the first logical button, and it worked.  I'm gonna keep your suggestions about the phrase pad in mind, and give it another optimistic go.  

I've found occasional omissions (mistakes) in the manual.  That time signature thing is another example.  I think I was reading about the 'function' settings, when it mentioned the function key could also be used to toggle between an option given simply as a number, and the actual words to describe the option.  That should solve your problem there.  ALSO, the function key seems to be the only way to clear an error message condition.

I'm so happy you gave me some feedback.  I've been a classical piano teacher for years, but now really just doing my own thing, creatively venturing into popular genres, and playing by ear.  I've had some self doubts mingled in over the past year while my ears continue to develop.  Actually, I'm just reaching the point of confidently believing in myself.  I want to start performing on keyboard, as I so enjoyed as a drummer.  

Anything new with 'SUMMERPL'? 

Ken

No nothing new with summerpl yet. I am too busy or lazy to do much keyboard stuff during the week:-D  thanks for the tip about the function button, so much to remember! Hey, feel free to add whatever to the rhythm and repost. I think its really cool being able to make you own rhythms on the Casio now. Maybe someday there will be thousands of rhythms posted online just like the psr tutorial website. 

That's all I've ever done if play by ear haha! Never learned to read. But I've done OK. Played in bands in my younger years doing bars, backyard, and wedding gigs and lots of fun with that! I'm just glad my liver survived if ya know what I mean.  Now considering the nursing home circuit but that means a one man band gig and not use to that, haha, stage fright.

On 6/26/2018 at 6:57 PM, Brad Saucier said:

It sounds like your keyboard is already up to date.  In case it isn't, here is a link to a firmware update.   This is for the CT-X3000.  CT-X5000 has another page for its update file.

https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=2224

Wow, Brad you are on the ball with answers.... Should I update my 3000?  Like I said there seems to be a phrase pad bug.  But, I've learned from many years computing, "If it ain't really broke, don't fix it. ".   I probably own one of the first units to be sold in the States.  Suggestion?  Ken.  

On 6/26/2018 at 6:40 PM, Midijunky said:

No nothing new with summerpl yet. I am too busy or lazy to do much keyboard stuff during the week:-D  thanks for the tip about the function button, so much to remember! Hey, feel free to add whatever to the rhythm and repost. I think its really cool being able to make you own rhythms on the Casio now. Maybe someday there will be thousands of rhythms posted online just like the psr tutorial website. 

That's all I've ever done if play by ear haha! Never learned to read. But I've done OK. Played in bands in my younger years doing bars, backyard, and wedding gigs and lots of fun with that! I'm just glad my liver survived if ya know what I mean.  Now considering the nursing home circuit but that means a one man band gig and not use to that, haha, stage fright.

Did the band and club circuit back then also as a drummer.  I've started keyboard playing in church and Salvation Army Senior parties.  No more stage fright.  Want to do solo weddings on my 3000.  Wish me luck. 

Some people can do very nicely, by ear like you.  My step-son never took a music lesson, but he's soooo creative.  I had to study hard.  

I found that the important thing is to reach a place where you feel you have found your own musical voice.  If you haven't done that yet, then study a little theory and reading to let more ideas into your head.    Ken

23 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Release note only says it corrects a minor bug in registration memory.   Do you have a green dot like the firmware page indicates?

I will look.  Y'know, I'm a dedicated teacher hooked on Casio because I think they are the same.  So, I doubt myself B4 them.  And the 3000 is an amazing design, but there is a bit of small print in the manual that is important, and might be missed.  

I am actually surprised, and relieved to find out that if there are verified bugs, they can be fixed.  Casio amazes.  I often giggle (with glee, I guess) as I digest the design, and the musical possibilities.

I have a 7600.  This is light years better.

Sat down and played a 3000 recently. Here are some thoughts. I don't understand why they ditched the drawbars and drawbar organ. Also it sounds like many organ tones are the old Casio tones. Strings are noticeably much better as are drum samples. Quite a few new arrangements mixed in with updated older rhythms. On the whole better than the older Casio styles. Wonder if these styles will be available to download in newer WK boards. Pattern Sequencer from Wk series looks to be gone.  Like the Galaxy electric piano. Stage piano voice has decent sustain in the high notes. The sound is noticeably better than the WK/CTK series and as good as or better than PSR E series. Did not get to play it for long. Need another sit down.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 10:41 PM, Casiofun said:

Sat down and played a 3000 recently. Here are some thoughts. I don't understand why they ditched the drawbars and drawbar organ. Also it sounds like many organ tones are the old Casio tones. Strings are noticeably much better as are drum samples. Quite a few new arrangements mixed in with updated older rhythms. On the whole better than the older Casio styles. Wonder if these styles will be available to download in newer WK boards. Pattern Sequencer from Wk series looks to be gone.  Like the Galaxy electric piano. Stage piano voice has decent sustain in the high notes. The sound is noticeably better than the WK/CTK series and as good as or better than PSR E series. Did not get to play it for long. Need another sit down.ferently

It was accidental negligence missing your post.  Hi.  I'm still in awe of my 3000.  I still love my 7600, 4400, and 691, but this is different.  I can view, modify or create almost anything.  Anything bad or limiting about a keyboard seems to be gone.  You do things a little differently, but I like it better.  And if I ever need to, I think I'll be able to create some things on the 7600, and load into the 3000.  Love the new Synth library and piano.  

• 11 months later...

Hi Ken, thanks for your post. I'm a really busy guitar player who recently purchased a ct-x5000 for it's sound quality. I'm bamboozled by

the instructions however. Basically I'm looking for something that can provide  a decent rhythmical background. Trying to create a simple

background alone is so difficult, please help. Thanks in advance.

20 hours ago, dunkieboy said:

Hi Ken, thanks for your post. I'm a really busy guitar player who recently purchased a ct-x5000 for it's sound quality. I'm bamboozled by

the instructions however. Basically I'm looking for something that can provide  a decent rhythmical background. Trying to create a simple

background alone is so difficult, please help. Thanks in advance.

Hiya dunkieboy, I'll be glad to work with you. I've been desciphering these d*n Casio manuals for 20 years now. I'm very busy also as a teacher and band member, but I have a head start on you, in having created a user rhythm (and done some song writing) of my own already ( yeah, which took about 2 weeks learning, in spite of my previous Casio experience ).

Just be a little patient.  The problem is not with the design of our Casios; they are awesome.  The problem is that their features are so flexible and advanced.  It's worth a study time investment.  Many guitarists won't do that.  I'm busy like you, but know it's worth the time to review what I learned ( and have certainly forgotten some of, last year ), and do this with you, if you want to. 

Maybe you are just looking to RECORD a backing track of chord changes with fill-ins and rhythm variation USING a rhythm pattern that is included in the 5000.  That's pretty easy....  If you just want this, you don't need to know anything of piano, but the note names of the keys.

If you want to create something new, the easiest thing to do is  to find an existing rhythm in the 5000, that you feel would be suitable if you could change the mixer volumes and instrument assignments, and perhaps mute a track or two; not compose anything new.  Remember that you have 4 variations, fill-in, etc.  as much as you need to, (or have time to) work with.  

You think that will do what you need?  

I do some teaching and chatting on Messenger and Quora, and email, which is easier.  If you want to do this little project let's connect by Messenger or email,phone. Start on facebook.com/piano.and.keyboard.lessons for contact info. Direct telephone call won't work though, because I keep priority only turned on. Or you can tell me how to connect with you.  

Hi Ken, thankyou for your kind response. After working the whole weekend plus some, things are starting to appear a bit easier.

I have posted some info for beginners on my page and a very useful youtube link. If ok I will contact you in the future once I've taken in

the basics. Thanks again.

Hi Ken, it didn't take me long to get bogged down again lol. Just to let you know where I'm coming from. I can play a little piano and have studied music to a decent level.

I've taught guitar for over 25 years. The reason I have bought the ct-x5000 is to replace an ageing Boss dr5 drum machine which I use as teaching tool. I.e. to create

background tracks with variable tempo. Basically I would like to try the equivalent on the ct-x5000. My question is can the sequencer be programmed step by step, (as in 

a drum machine) without having to record "on the fly". Thanks in advance, Duncan.

Unfortunately the pattern sequencer on the CT-X5000 does not have a step recording function.  I'll mention a couple of other options in case it sparks an idea for you.   There is a step input function in the MIDI recorder, and in the pattern sequencer there is a quantize function, so that may be useful to you because it can correct the timing on your recorded notes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Unfortunately the pattern sequencer on the CT-X5000 does not have a step recording function.  I'll mention a couple of other options in case it sparks an idea for you.   There is a step input function in the MIDI recorder, and in the pattern sequencer there is a quantize function, so that may be useful to you because it can correct the timing on your recorded notes.  

Thanks for jumping in Brad, Dunkie has set me scurrying also, and I saw all you mentioned; plus remember you can quantize each track of your recorded SONGS.  It sounds to me now that Dunkie just wants his own drummer tracks, not chord changes or multi-instruments as I first interpreted 'backing tracks'.  If so, I tried this, and think he should just record each of his 'drum kit' drums, one at a time like overdubbing, on it's own song track in the recorder.  Use the metronome and precount.  He can re-record any track he doesn't like and/or quantize each track.  Worked real good for me and was kind of fun.  

Dunkieboy, we just need to find out now if that is what you want to do?  

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies guys, sorry I've just noticed them. I did try to reply to your post Ken, but being new here I've probably sent it to the wrong page.

I had to buy the 5000 when I heard the quality of its tones. Step recording isn't a big deal really as you both mention rhythm mistakes can be corrected via quantize.

Basically what I want to do is firstly: Create quality backings for my guitar students, 

improve my piano skills and use the ct-x as a midi keyboard controller for various DAWs. Any help, tips etc from yous guys would be really appreciated.

It feels great to be part of the Casio community, hopefully over time I will be able to contribute and help other beginners in the same way

Thanks again Dunkie.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 2:38 PM, Ken Madell said:

It plays a full classical piano repertoire from the free Casio 'Chordana Play Piano' app from your smartphone.  The app was designed for Casio piano models, but recognizes the CT-X as a Casio, and let's you play the 100 classical masterpieces that sound great on the 3000 ( Chopin )  

OK, I DL'd the App.  Now what?  What cord do I need to get from my Samsung Smartphone to the CT-X5000?  (I'm NOT a smartphone person -- I only use the thing when necessary.)  Is the connection wireless?  Where do I plug the cord?  Where do I put the phone & what is the best length for the cord?