Video Files on Forum ×

560 updates etc????????

ChrisSelfe

I'm afraid the PX-560 is stuck in a no-man's land somewhere between a digital piano, a workstation, an arranger and a synthesizer. IMO Casio didn't really know what to do with this chimera when they launched it and they know even less about what to do with it now. I predict didley squat for the PX-560 in terms of future official files. Casio hasn't even released a complete MIDI implementation document for it, despite calling it a Pro model. (AFAIK it was the first Pro model that didn't get such a document.)

PS. Someone at Casio will now release stuff for the PX-560 to prove me wrong. Ha ha ha, that was my clever plan all along. 

I thought I had already downloaded it AlenK...28 pages. I guess this is all we can expect. would be nice to see some additional modified tones, registrations, rhythms, anything. I'd even be happy with a PX560 hat or cupholder.  See, we are such expert DIY programmers, maybe Casio figures we'll do all the work.   .......WRONG!!!!!

http://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualfile.php?cid=008017041

It does appear that Casio's marketing of the 560 and MZX got stuck in neutral while the PX5S got all the glory. Could also be that Mike and Rich are spread too thin. But there is no denying the live webinars have virtually disappeared. Their marketing is quick one shot videos that don't go very deep.

12 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

I thought I had already downloaded it AlenK...28 pages. I guess this is all we can expect. would be nice to see some additional modified tones, registrations, rhythms, anything. I'd even be happy with a PX560 hat or cupholder.  See, we are such expert DIY programmers, maybe Casio figures we'll do all the work.   .......WRONG!!!!!

http://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualfile.php?cid=008017041

I am happy to be wrong about that one. Last I had checked, which admittedly was some time ago (March), Casio had not released the document yet. They were certainly late getting it out. 

But that doesn't change the appearance of indifference by Casio to this model. 

I agree. I wonder if Casio has a development team for developing new and different tones, registrations etc. for any of the Casios, especially the 560 since it has so many user memory slots for everything.  How about hiring some more help for Mike Martin and Rich? And yes, there was no midi implementation chart until I checked recently-maybe somebody at Casio noticed our complaints, one can always be optimistic.

:waaah:

Except for the apparent unavailability of the MZ-X300 in Brazil, there's no actual news in that thread; only conjecture (a word I was careful to use myself). But, yes, even the fact that we are conjecturing should be cause for concern. It's never a good sign.

Casio needs to establish itself in the Professional Market.
The future is now samples. A FZ / CZ Synthesizer with Sampler, a new MZ-X with sound engine AIX arranger Workstation and a Piano Stage PX6S.
I know that Casio might not have many results for the moment in sales but that would well upset the market.

Mike Martin and Rich Formidoni both come from other musical instrument companies. Rich was the face of Korg here in the US and Mike is the GM of Marketing. Mike has also worked at other companies. Think he worked for Yahama but not sure in what role probably sales. So Casio does have people with marketing experience. But they aren't calling the shots. Casio's upper management must have ordered a return to basics thus the developement of the AIX chip and a new product line-CTX. This is not necessarily a bad thing as Casio has needed to update it sounds and styles to better compete with Yahama which also refreshed its PSR line. This is the strength of Casio, cheap, low end keyboards that do a lot, and give bang for the buck. On the other hand, the PX5 should have been refreshed. But they came out with the 560 with the color touchscreen, half pedaling, expression pedal jack, and speakers--everything the PX5 was missing. Then the MZX line came out. Perhaps there's confusion on what to do with 5S which may still be selling for them.  

Very interesting article-and Mr. Martin has quite a resume, someone at Casio realized what he could bring to the company.  In the interest of respect for his privacy, I will not go into details but sufficient to say I believe at least part of the innovations we've seen with Casio musical instruments are due to his previous experience and knowledge from his work with several of the big players. And again, I am repeating this in case anybody at Casio sees our posts here-bring out....

1) A midi wind controller, that can beat the price of the overpriced current Roland and Akai offerings. The used Yamahas (WX-5, 7 and 11) are being grabbed up by many of the younger musicians coming out of music programs and who were not old enough to buy a midi wind controller when new. with their older casio horn technology-make something a bit more pro, and I'm sure these will sell. I have 2 Yamahas (I play wind instruments) and was going to try to get a used Casio horn, but the prices are ridiculous if you can find one that works.

2) A more pro tone module/sequencer-possibly along the lines of the XW series, or something like the Yamaha RM1X or Roland MC products. Again, these go for a good price even on the used market and are not currently being manufactured (I think Roland still manufactures a few Boss products in the MC line). Or similar to the Yamaha QY modules-I kept mine because of its musical power in a small package. No-one makes anything even close to this anymore. 

3) A digital trumpet-similar to the Yamaha product, which I only see coming out of Japan. Again for young aspiring trumpet/trombone brass players, the younger students might grab one of these-and look at the Yamaha products to see the prices for the "mute" setups they sell for acoustic brass. No-one makes these anymore either.

These might be small markets (maybe not)-but look at the bands and music coming out of Japan-they are mimicking our best fusion, rock, jazz and big band music! I've seen some fantastic videos of performances-and many are using all this woodwind/brass and other midi technology. As a retired music educator, I could have developed much more interest in the woodwind/brass sections if my students had something to practice silently with-as we can do with our keyboards. Many of my students could not practice in the environments they were in. and the pros as well. As I read comments in many music user groups, I seem to see a trend where the younger musicians are very interested in music technology they didn't even know existed, that we  older crumb-bums have known about for 2-3 decades!  Something to think about maybe.

Yes Mike played an important role in the developement of the PX5S and the XW line. He is proud of both products. Let's not forget the WK 7500 and CTK 7000 series which are brilliant for the price. Yes they have some shortcomings like quick decay piano samples, and some sounds that don't please everybody, but the pattern sequencer, despite having a learning curve, is brilliant. Casio was doing nothing exciting before Mike's arrival. He has been instrumental in getting pro musicians like Joe Sample, Larry Dunn, and even Stevie Wonder (playing the hybrid grand at a Namm) interested in Casio products. Mike has brought respect to the Casio name even though some still sneer at it.