Video Files on Forum ×

Realistic Guitar Strumming How can I import some?

Corneliu

Hi, first of all I must say I like very much the piano sound and many other combinations of zones and hexlayers on my PX-5s.

What I think this keyboard lacks is some good guitar strumming samples, more realistic, and diverse.

Is there any way that I could import some samples or create some strumming paths myself?

I am also a guitar player and I can strum on a real quitar, but would like to make it that I play

only one instrument and have the strumming also included. I know, I could record a strumming wav file 

and play it on Px-5s, but it's still not like I would have a strumming at my fingers, being able to change the chords

and such while I play piano.

I would really appreciate if there would be any way to make realistic guitar strumming possible on this instrument.

Thanks!

Based on what I have learned trying to do acoustic guitar strumming emulations on the Casio XW-P1, a couple of recommendations: 

(1) You can play a suitably programmed phrase and transpose it to emulate a strum. Assuming the PX-5S can do this, record a rolled "open" guitar chord at a slow tempo and then play it back at normal tempo. Mere transposition of a single chord is not entirely realistic because it doesn't match guitar fingerings for open chords (which are more common than barred chords for acoustic work) but doing anything else is likely not possible on the PX-5S.

(2) If you use the acoustic guitar tone itself it likely won't sound realistic for fast strums (slow ones, yes). You can get much closer using Hex Layers: Lengthen that tone's attack just enough to take the bite off it and add in a quick, brief hit of some sort of noise wave to replace the missing attack. This is to replicate the sound of a pick scraping across the strings, which depending on technique, pick material and force of playing can be louder than the pitched tones from the strings. 

Thank you, I already did this but wanted to see if there is something more realistic possible.

Maybe a next board on Casio will be able to import new samples and this would make a huge difference

for most of the users I think.

17 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Go to the downloads section of this site and download guitar strumming stage settings I made, as well as some Mike Martin made.  The PX-5S cannot import samples so we have to work with the factory samples and synth tweaks to get new sounds.  

Thanks very much, I will try this and see what comes out. 

16 hours ago, AlenK said:

Based on what I have learned trying to do acoustic guitar strumming emulations on the Casio XW-P1, a couple of recommendations: 

(1) You can play a suitably programmed phrase and transpose it to emulate a strum. Assuming the PX-5S can do this, record a rolled "open" guitar chord at a slow tempo and then play it back at normal tempo. Mere transposition of a single chord is not entirely realistic because it doesn't match guitar fingerings for open chords (which are more common than barred chords for acoustic work) but doing anything else is likely not possible on the PX-5S.

(2) If you use the acoustic guitar tone itself it likely won't sound realistic for fast strums (slow ones, yes). You can get much closer using Hex Layers: Lengthen that tone's attack just enough to take the bite off it and add in a quick, brief hit of some sort of noise wave to replace the missing attack. This is to replicate the sound of a pick scraping across the strings, which depending on technique, pick material and force of playing can be louder than the pitched tones from the strings.