Video Files on Forum ×

MZ-X300 Game over!?

15 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

MZ-X series is still available new in North America.  

Still available” (left over inventory), and “manufactuing” (still producing) are very different things. Is Casio still producing the MZ-X?  I’m very curious as well.

According to a Casio product manager I spoke with, Casio “dabbled” in the pro-sumer arranger market, (>$1,000), but has decided to stick with low-end intro. keyboards, which they are better known for.  The sales goals were not met and although the MZ-X became popular in some niche markets, it’s ultimately about profit margin.  Casio is interested in volume sales, and not competing directly with Yamaha, Roland and Korg. (Please don’t debate on this thread whether they “compete” with Y, R and K.  It’s a matter of perception in the industry and profits, period.)

According to the product manager, Casio will not be building any follow-up to the MZ-X500 (unfortunately).

In my opinion, and based on my conversation with the product manager, Casio has decided to stop production (or will soon) of the MZ-X to focus on the lower-end AiX chip keyboards.

If anyone has any other specific information as to Casio’s plans for the MZ-X, please share.

• Like 1

Here in Brazil only now Casio is being seen by the professional market as an alternative to other brands.
Many unknown people ask me on my Youtube Channel and Whatsapp about the MZ-X because they are wanting to go to Casio.
And these people have the KYR brands and because of financial policies, little technological innovation and other details make people look for options.
Keyboard arrangers here are especially expensive KYR professionals.
The MZ-X line moved the market here I can not say financially.
But how to innovate at a low cost.
It would be very good for the brand to establish its position of innovation
The MZ-X line has won many fans around the world.
Very sad if Casio stops at this segment

The real question by Silvano was, “are they still being manufactured.”  (See above)

It matters because continued manufacturing implies continued supportupdatesupgrades and hopefully a second generation (versus a one-off market test).

The MZ-X has a ton of capabilities, but like any product that tries to be everything to everyone (Swiss army knife), it had to make some compromises to meet the price point.

A second generation MZ-X, encompassing the AiX engine, updating and improving the rhythms, (please!) and addressing many of the user issues (outlined in numerous threads), would be welcomed by all, including me....and I trust you.

Since you asked....  😉

• Thanks 1

"The sales goals were not met." 

I do do not doubt this. It seems apparent that Casio thought at one time that they could compete with Y, R and K in the mid-range arranger market. Unfortunately, the advertising campaign for the MZ-X seemed to almost be over before it began. I can only guess that the change in Casio's direction that Scott revealed awhile back (in this thread) came at exactly the wrong time for the MZ-X models. 

Now, I am not saying that Casio could have successfully done battle with Y, R and K in the the mid-range arranger market. But I am not saying they couldn't, either. Where there is a will there can often be a way. 

9 hours ago, Tson said:

Still available” (left over inventory), and “manufactuing” (still producing) are very different things. Is Casio still producing the MZ-X?  I’m very curious as well.

According to a Casio product manager I spoke with, Casio “dabbled” in the pro-sumer arranger market, (>$1,000), but has decided to stick with low-end intro. keyboards, which they are better known for.  The sales goals were not met and although the MZ-X became popular in some niche markets, it’s ultimately about profit margin.  Casio is interested in volume sales, and not competing directly with Yamaha, Roland and Korg. (Please don’t debate on this thread whether they “compete” with Y, R and K.  It’s a matter of perception in the industry and profits, period.)

According to the product manager, Casio will not be building any follow-up to the MZ-X500 (unfortunately).

In my opinion, and based on my conversation with the product manager, Casio has decided to stop production (or will soon) of the MZ-X to focus on the lower-end AiX chip keyboards.

If anyone has any other specific information as to Casio’s plans for the MZ-X, please share.

We're the sales goals ever met for the xwp1/g1.

1 hour ago, AbeEscape said:

Were the sales goals ever met for the XW-P1/G1?

No one except a Casio employee could say and they aren't talking. What we can conjecture is that sales of the XW models and of the PX-5S, which were Casio's 2012 and 2013 returns to professional keyboards were probably good enough to green-light development of the MZ-X models, especially the PX-5S (which pro musicians accepted far more readily than the XW models). Then something happened at Casio that caused a change of heart and near abandonment of the pro market wrt development (not sales). The results of that are the new CT-X line, which are pretty impressive products for what they are, so it's not all bad.

16 hours ago, Tson said:

The real question by Silvano was, “are they still being manufactured.”  (See above)

It matters because continued manufacturing implies continued supportupdatesupgrades and hopefully a second generation (versus a one-off market test).

The MZ-X has a ton of capabilities, but like any product that tries to be everything to everyone (Swiss army knife), it had to make some compromises to meet the price point.

IF a brand decides to stop developing a product line, this means that the costumer will remain with an unsupported item, with the risk to have an item tot repairable because it's impossible to find spare parts, no updates and support.

A professional or prosumer customer will stay away. Professional customers are a lot more fussy about after sales, so even rumour could have an huge negative impact on sales. 

An home user is a lot less demanding especially for a low cost keyboard, but margins are way lower and one has do combat with low quality items.

• Like 1

When the MZ-X series came out on the market it was underdeveloped and had a lot of errors. Only numerous updates made these keys attractive for their recipients. There is still no solution to the problems of the sampler, another disadvantage is a limited number of registrations - which makes the key suitable only for amateurs, who treat playing as their hobby. This key is not comparable to the competition - Casio lags behind Yamaha, Korg and Roland, but has made huge progress. If they continued to work on the Aix sound module and introduced new sounds and updates, they could also become a serious player in the market for their successor to the MZ-X series. The appearance of new models would also make more and more companies interested in producing Casio keyboard software - which also affects the popularity of a given brand on the market. I am very disappointed that Casio has forgotten the MZ-X series market - but unfortunately they are to blame themselves: an underdeveloped instrument, poorly arranged styles, lack of promotion - all this has had an impact on sales results.

• Like 2

Casio has released a line with no optimization in the software mainly in the area of Samples and limitations in the operating system. Now you only have two ways to leave the line or proceed with news models corrected. It is not an easy path but it is a means of attracting new fans as it did with the privia line that until today request a PX6-S

The final determination for a company is sales and profit. If the  MZX line isn't selling or making money then this is understandable. However there wasn't a serious marketing effort by Casio for this product so that is somewhat troubling. Seems like they knew something was wrong early on and didn't come up a marketing campaign. I have wondered how Casio would fare producing pro products at higher prices. They lack experience in this market segment. I hope they are pulling the plug on just the MZX line.

Difficile de savoir si la série MZ X est encore fabriquée en usine, impossible de savoir, 
par contre ces claviers sont encore disponibles sur environ 1 magasin sur 2, en Europe, mais ça ressemble a une fin de série.
Très peu de ventes de MZ X 300, presque zéro de 500.... 
Difficult to know if the MZ X series is still manufactured in the factory, impossible to know, 
however these keyboards are still available on about 1 store out of 2, in Europe, but it looks like an end of series.
Very few sales of MZ X 300, almost zero of 500 ....

Edited by MANY
  • Like 1

Yamaha, Korg and Roland etc...don't have such a dynamic forum as this.  The short comings of Casio HQ is in my opinion  outweighed by the Administrators and members' input into this Forum.   I've learnt so much and am very grateful for all the help given, to enable me to get the most out of my Casio instruments... more perhaps than I could have obtained from Yamaha, Korg or Roland whose instruments do have their own shortcomings but whose user forums lack so much compared with this Forum.

Casio and Mike Martin have been very clever in creating this forum and providing such customer help and support which IMHO is second to none !

• Like 2

Yamaha, Korg et Roland etc ... n'ont pas un forum aussi dynamique

Yamaha, Korg and Roland etc...don't have such a dynamic forum as this. 

Comme on dit en France, ( proverbe )
Qui aime bien, châtie bien..

As They say in France, ( proverb )

Who loves well chatises as well....

I can assure you that both Yamaha and Korg have forums dedicated to their keys - they are much more developed and have many more users. You can not only get professional help there, but also find turtorials, manuals, styles and sounds. Only in Poland I can find several thousand Yamaha and Korga forum members on the instrumentyklawiszowe.com forum - as the owner of Casio MZ I am the only one.  The MZ-X series is very popular for its simple operation, touch screen display, great look and good sound of the right hand. As an additional key it works perfectly. Casio has made the greatest progress of all companies. Yamaha introduced a new model s775/975 but the changes compared to the predecessor are practically minimal, Korg pa 700/900 introduced some innovations in relation to the predecessor but still the greatest progress in my opinion was made by Casio. Roland has a very strange policy and has stood still for the past few years.  The Ketron Sd9 sounds great but it is very expensive and there is still a problem with the instability of the system.  I support Casio very much. Even a paid update of the MZ-X series would be enough to introduce the new Aix tones, styles and features mentioned in the forum. I am the first customer to buy. It's hard to beat Casio among the experienced yamaha and Korga players, you can't give up a given segment after a single failure, especially as it was the Casio manufacturer who made many mistakes when releasing the Mz series. I really like the changes made to the Ct-X Series, especially the new effects system - which greatly improves the sound at the output. I think Casio should think about its customers and, like yamaha, create a page with additional styles and sounds.
I look forward to the successor to the mz-x series - please don't give up - the mz-x series is a really valuable and valuable instrument.

D' accord avec toi, Brad,

mais la communauté MZ X semble être active aux États unis, en Indonésie, dans quelques Pays,

hélas en Europe, j' ai l' impression d' être le seul a posséder un MZ X !

exemple : vous postez sur un forum Français, dans la rubrique claviers arrangeurs,

vous n' obtenez aucune réponse, a part des moqueries, c'est ainsi.

" calculatrice a touches" "jouet pour enfant" " ca sonne pouet pouet"😊

Of agreement with you, Brad,
but community MZ X seems to be active in the United States, in Indonesia, in some Countries,
not in Europe, I have the feeling to be the only one has to have a MZ X !
example: you post on a French forum, in the topic keyboards arrangers,
you do not obtain any answer, has share of the mockeries, it is thus.
calculator has keys white and black  toy for child  that sounds pouet pouet😊

Very good for watches not at all for keyboards not all people have time to understand how particular model work on they own (of course plenty of help from guys in the forum)

Just compare number of how to videos for Korg and Yamaha and then see how many are for Casio MZ series.

Quand on achète une clavier Casio,

il faut IMPERATIVEMENT savoir certaines choses :

vous achetez un produit original, difficile a comparer avec la concurrence,

ce n'est pas Korg, ni Yamaha, c'est un produit différent,

ce produit souffre de nombreux défauts, comme la notice peu explicite,

peu de tutoriels, et d' autres...

Il faut découvrir des fonctions soi même, ou poster sur les forums,

pourtant au final, c'est un produit original, et attachant, et au rapport qualité / prix imbattable,

que demande le peuple ?

When you buy a Casio keyboard,

it is IMPERATIVE to know cerains things :

you buy an original product, difficult to compare with the concurency

its not a Korg, its not a Yamaha. its a different product...

this product suffers from many imperfections,

the imprecise notice, and others

we must discover functions by seeking, or post on the forums

in the end, its a original product, and very good value for money.

that is the demande of the people ?

A+

• Like 1