Video Files on Forum ×

Using PX350 as a MIDI module

nandae

My wife sits at the px350, I have a Midiplus x3 MIDI keyboard plugged into the MIDI IN port of the px350. We jam.

I would like to be able to change the tones that I play. Using controls on the x3 I send Bank select MSB/LSB and Program change data (from the Tone List in the manual) but it has no effect. I only get the grand piano sound.

When I change the MIDI channel to 2 and 3 and 10 I get a strings sound, a bass sound and the percussion assortment respectively.

Has anybody tried this? I'd love to be able to change instruments from the attached keyboard - for live playing.

P.S. No usb stick plugged in - noticed this was mentioned by Jokeyman123 earlier.

Thanks!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Here is a link to how a few of us have struggled trying to get this to work

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/5373-px330-midi-program-change/

the midi implementation chart describes that channels 1-16 are actually structured as 1-16 A and 1-16 B sets of assignment channels this keyboard will receive. Instruments assigned for any midi channel in the "A" section are fixed-thus you get the sounds you did. Only by accessing channels 1-16 in the "B" section can you change anything. But.....there is no description that I could find regarding what you must do to access and differentiate which set of 16 channels you are accessing, truly a maddening problem!

The only success we found was to enter a registration, and try changing the sounds while the PX350 is accessing a registration, or stripping out the LSB message, which I haven't tried. My best guess is that the registration settings are accessing 16 midi channels through the "B" section while auto-accompaniment functions and possibly presets are using the "A" section, and are somehow not capable of receiving any type of cc message at all. And again, I have been able to play a full multi-track midi file from my computer sequencer and the PX350 does respond to my program and bank change messages through software, but as simple as it should be to send a program change from a remote keyboard, I never did understand why it would not do this easily. Post back if you have success with this.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/6151-setting-up-px-350-as-optional-midi-controller/

Here is another link to another group of postings which I had forgotten. If you read through this, you will find that I discovered program changes will only go through midi channel 4 on the Casio PX350. Why, I never found out.

Therefore if you set your Midiplus to send on midi channel 4-it may (and I'm not sure if it receives program changes, I only deduced it sent these) enable program changes to take effect from the Midiplus to the PX350. Also notice in this post-the PX is not the most user friendly for using as a midi controller!

• 2 years later...