Video Files on Forum ×

Adding realstic attack to woodwinds, brass tones

Jokeyman123

After previewing all the sounds in the PX560 (and also PX350 prior to this) I find some of the woodwind sounds rather flat-adding a bit of harder attack on some of the tones might add more realism, since when playing woodwinds or brass-one technique to create a stronger articulation is to create a 'tah" tonguing technique to clarinet, oboe, bassoon, saxes etc. I know the PX560 is capable of synthesis tone modifications, especially envelopes for filter and amp settings-to control dynamics. If anyone here has suggestions how to change the envelopes to create a harder attack sound on some of these woodwinds in particular but would help with brass as well, please post here. I have programmed sounds before, but being inherently lazy, if anyone has already done this with the PX560 or any other programmable Casio would save me a little trial and error. Thanks.

I managed my self-perhaps I'll upload the few edited tones I modified. Not a big improvement but a little better to my ears. And as someone else posted-a little DSP early reflections does help. Too bad the existing tones don't reveal the actual envelope shapes-all settings always start with their zero default values, otherwise it would be easy to see how the stronger attacks such as some of the saxes are created. I decreased the attack time, lowered the decay setting a bit and increased the attack level.

• Thanks 1

You can always try a favourite trick of mine: Increase attack time and then add another wave with a much shortened decay to replace the original attack. Lots of experimentation is in order and done in Hex Layers, of course. (Actually, this is not my trick. Even Yamaha does it in the Motif for many voices.)

• Thanks 1

I just discovered another little interesting function. Apparently several hex layers (well at least 2 that I've tried) can be used for recording multitrack arrangements. Since these are tones-this brings a whole other layer of creative possibilities. I've been playing around with my uploaded 6tet hex layer-playing multi-instruments in octave spans-sort of like the Oscar Peterson trickof playing melodies in 2 hands with octaves-but I grab say the vibes, trumpet and ep-limited use for ranges-use the same hex layer in another track-I'm coming up with some interesting combinations of multi-instrument harmonies and hooks. The more I mess around with the 560, the better it gets. I never did much with the XW-p1 hex layers since there is only one available at a time (I think I remember that right).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Just updating-and I overlooked this on earlier posts here. Even Casio describes it in the manual-brainfart from me i guess. Up to 4 (!) hex layers can be used for multi-track arrangements, and with the combination of upper and lower + split from the tone main menu, the possibilities are pretty amazing-because there is 256-voice polyphony this can actually work. The only trouble I'm noticing-and I have to push the 560-it sometimes gets bogged down will lock up momentarily from screen to screen but always comes back to operation-I guess a faster CPU might have been better. But still, for being able to set up some truly complex tones or arrangements-I know newer (very expensive) workstations can do this-I could do it with my old Generalmusic SK76 and Equinox without the 256-note polyphony-but with a stage piano, this is very nice. And I constantly aware of how lightweight it is to carry since I move my stuff around alot, even if i took 2 PX's these weigh less than some of my old boards. I am seroiusly considering gigging again (somebody talk me out of it!)-partially stopped due to difficulty of lugging around heavy keys, my own sound system and rotten club owners-say no more, say no more!

say no more.jpg