Video Files on Forum ×

problems to run WAV from SD card, can anybody help?

alissonmathias

Hello, I'm sorry that the translation was made by google, I'm Brazilian and I do not speak english very well.

I would like to ask for your help. I am not able to put the WAV files by the data editor and nor the SMF files by the MIDI / SMF converter.

And another thing I put the WAV files straight into the card using an SD card reader, and when I go in the function of running the WAV, the keyboard fda an error saying that it does not have any files.

Could you help me?

If I remember correctly, the XW-P1 Audio File Player can not handle audio files in the raw Windows standard 16 bit 44Khz format.  They have to be run through the XW-P1 Data Editor, which converts them to a Casio proprietary format usable by the XW-P1's Audio File Player and stores them in a special partition on the SD Card, so the SD Card has to be formatted in the XW-P1, not in a computer.  See the "Audio > Ent" section of the table titled "Auto Playback Types" in the left hand column of Page E-72 of the XW-P1 manual.  Also refer to the XW-P1 Data Editor User's Guide.  You can download a copy of the Data Editor software and its User Guide from:

https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=64

Just so we don't chase our own tales-here Ted, I found your original detailed description of how to solve this problem, and pasting the link here:

As you can see, Patrick originally posted this question. I'd have forgotten this weirdness myself all over again-especially since the newer Casios seem to be saving audio files in standard windows 44.1Khz format (I think) instead of this strange 42Khz one and there is no need to use the data editor-good thing since the privias don't have one!

Shows I should never assume! Indeed, page E-72 of the XW-P1 User's Guide does NOT say converted WAV files go into MUSICDAT, unlike SMF files. It doesn't say anything about where they go, only about the need for conversion (which I knew about but had forgotten), which led me to assume there wasn't anything special about that. But I was wrong.

In my defence, I have never played a WAV file from an SD card on the XW-P1. I knew only that you COULD do it if you used the data editor. Frankly, it sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I just play audio on my phone connected to the stereo audio in. The advantages are (a) no need for conversion and, more importantly (b) the full resources of the XW-P1 are still available while the audio file plays. 

The memory card selector is blank. Is the XW-P1 actually talking to your computer? Did you format the SD card in the XW-P1 or in the computer? The manual says you must do it in the XW-P1 and in the thread referenced above Ted explains why: The XW-P1 creates a special, hidden partition on the card for audio files. (Which is really odd, frankly. And how big a partition does it create? Half the card's capacity? It's not like the formatting procedure asks you how big you would like it.) 

Note that page 26 of the data editor manual says you must still have a MUSICDAT ditrectory present on the SD card even if no audio files are evidently stored there. (The manual doesn't actually say where the audio files are stored but strangely makes reference to files that Ted says you can't see as if you COULD see them. But obviously Ted has actually done this, unlike myself, so he must be correct. Casio's confusing manual writing strikes again.) 

Also according to Ted your WAV file must be in 16-bit/44kHz format. He wrote that in 2014 and since then a newer version of the data editor was released, v1.1.3. The data editor manual, which has not been updated since 2012, claims that the editor supports 24-bit and 32-bit signed formats in addition to 16-bit signed and 8-bit unsigned. Obviously, that was not true when Ted wrote his reply in that old thread but it might be true of the latest version. The release notes say only that Casio "improved certain operation," which is exceedingly unhelpful and lazy documentation to boot. Or maybe the manual is still wrong and 16/44 is the only acceptable format. 

But I'm curious: What advantage does playing a WAV file on the XW-P1 give you that playing the same file on a connected phone does not, aside from not needing to carry around a phone? (But you very likely already DO carry around a phone, so strike that advantage.)

alisson

You must be looking at the wrong page in the Data Editor User's Guide.  The screen you posted is exactly where you should be for wav file conversions/transfers.  If you have an SD Card that you have formatted in the XW-P1, you just need to insert it into the computer's SD Card slot, click on that file in the left hand pane, and drag it to the right hand pane, and the Data Editor will convert it and store the conversion on the SD Card.

In the Data Editor User's Guide, make sure you are looking at the audio conversion/transfer page for the XW-P1 - not the XW-G1 - it looks completely different.  However, the picture for the XW-P1 screen DOES show some files on it, but those are just examples in the picture.  Your screen will obviously look different, depending on what files you have on your PC.

How did you create that 24 bit 44.1 KHz track that you want to export?  Is that what you are trying to convert and store on the XW-P1's SD Card?

Dude then, I want to use the audios directly from the card, since I already had problems generating noise when I plug the cell phone into the keyboard.

I create the audio in Ableton LIVE, and export in 44100 24 bit, but even picking up the file and putting it in the folder that was created when I format the card on the keyboard gives the same error message. To contact Casio, here in my country to see what can be done.

4 hours ago, alissonmathias said:

but even picking up the file and putting it in the folder that was created when I format the card on the keyboard

But we have already stated, several times, that you can not do that.  The audio that you want to play on the XW-P1 must first be converted to a Casio proprietary format with the XW-P1 Data Editor, which will also load it into the correct partition on the SD Card.

As for the screen shot you posted above, you will find that screen on Page 25 of the Data Editor User's Guide and the instructions for it  on Pages 24 thru 27.  If you are using the instructions on Pages 28 thru 31, those are for the XW-G1 and will not work for the XW-P1.

Just go back to that screen, that you posted, left-click and hold on your wav file that is showing in the left pane of that screen, drag it to the right screen, and that should give you what you want . . . .

BUT . . . .

The following quote is from Page 24 of the Data Editor User's Guide:

"Even if a particular WAVE file satisfies the above format, it may not be able to be converted properly due to other reasons."

There could be something proprietary about your Ableton Live wav file that prevents the Date Editor from using it . . . .

SO, IF THAT IS THE CASE . . . .

The noise you get when connecting a phone to the XW-P1's Audio In jack: You could be getting RF (radio frequency) interference from the phone's radio circuits.  I recommend just a cheap straight (non-phone) MP3 player running on battery to eliminate a ground hum loop.  I had a WK-225, for a while, that I could connect any of several straight (non-phone) MP3 players to with no problem, but could not connect a phone to it .because of excess noise.