Video Files on Forum ×

I have many electronic keyboards. 4 of them are Casio Arranger keyboards. Until now they have been pretty much bullet proof. The WK6500 has a high G key that plays only full velocity and does not return to full height after playing. I am fairly sure that the pad under the key is bad. How can I repair this? And where can I buy the part? Or do I just chuck it and buy another instrument?

WK6500 Bad Key - 02.jpg

Hhhmmmm-if you decide to chuck it, let me know I'll send my mailing address-I''ll even pay for shipping as long as you don't live in say southern Australia or possibly living on the space station which could run into money. :wall:

But seriously-if you are reasonably handy with a screwdriver and some basic mechanicals, you can probably fix this yourself. I haven't specifically has a WK apart, but you can see from my postings, everything else yes. And this sounds like the back of the key might be cracked, or the part that supports the key or the spring if there is one-some Casios don't even have spring returns-these rely on the flexibility of the back of the key under the case-and these can give out-I'm only guessing based on my XW-P1 which probably has the same mechanism. Not the sturdiest of designs IMO. So have a go at it I say. Most of the screws on the bottom will probably have to be removed but believe me since this keyboard weighs almost nothing compared to say an 88-key Kurzweil or old 50 pound Ensoniq shouldn't be too hard. I'm assuming it isn't under warranty. As far as replacement keys, just Google Casio replacement keys if you don't want to contact factory for parts. Or you may find it is an easy fix once you get it apart. Crazy glue can do wonders with these plastic keys if it's cracked. Hope this helps.

Jokeyman123, thanks for the response. I appreciate a sense of humor. :) I did take the case apart. 31 screws is all it takes. The key itself seems to be just like new. But the contact pad under it was partially collapsed. That is going to have to be replaced. I don't know if there is supposed to be a return spring inside that rubber pad. But I somehow doubt it. It looks easy enough to replace. But I have had NO luck finding anybody that can give me a drawing with part numbers or even tell me where to buy parts. You can see the part in my photo. (sorry about the auto focus issue) Anyway, only that pad has partially failed.The rest of the keys feel like new. If the keys were 3/8 inch longer, it would be an instrument rivaling some of the best electronic keyboards I have ever played. Excepting hammer action stuff of course.

The inside of these types boot assemblies contains small circular conductive carbon contacts which contact the circuit board underneath. there is no spring assembly-the rubber boot is supposed to return to its full uncompressed shape when the key is up-it has no real power to push the key up. without seeing the exact design of this boot in the WK-I have the Privias and XW-not sure this is the same, there are variations. Here is an ebay page I found showing quite a few different types.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=keyboard+rubber+contact+boot&_sacat=0

Study the shape-if it has 2 circular rubber protrusions (i use big words only because I cant remember the easy ones)  it should if it is designed similarly to just about every keyboard I've serviced including Casios, there are 2 carbon contacts-one is slightly higher than the other-you wouldn't be able to see this unless you looked v-e-r-y carefully it is inside where the height difference is noticeable. This mechanism is how electronic keyboards gain velocity response-one contacts the circuit board contact first, then the other-the difference in time between is measured by the computer chips and this determines how loud the key should be...aha! sorry for the science lesson but it might help you repair this. If it only has one boot, then there must be something else producing velocity response.

You don't have to get a Casio replacement boot-but you do have to get one that is the exact size and shape, and these do wear at times but are usually pretty resilient-the carbon contacts wear out first (in my experience) or dirt gets in under the boot and even a tiny speck can mess up the key's response. Post how you do if you can. It will help others here. Hope this helps, these are pretty nice instruments-I should know, I have 4! Part of the reason I needed to learn repair in the first place-but that started back in the stone age way before my Casios. Bach was tough to work with though-he was very picky about how I tuned up his harpsichords.:waaah:

"Post how you do if you can. It will help others here. Hope this helps, these are pretty nice instruments-I should know, I have 4!"

I just had to open up my WK7500.    I had a D key sticking and had no idea what to expect.    What I found was totally unexpected.    The factory had sprayed white lubricant / grease around the key bed.   When removing the keys and exposing the rubber boots is when I found the problem.   Some of the lubricant had seeped under the rubber contact switch.   When the key was pressed the rubber switch formed a suction cup and held the contacts down till the vacuum leaked and the rubber popped back up for the next key press.  Some Q tips and alcohol and we're back in business.    None of the E Bay rubber switch contacts matched what is in the WK7500  but were similar.    I believe if you had to adapt the rubber contact switches, you probably could get something to work.  

Josh

CTK900

WK7500

Well I gave up. It was probably repairable. But I was not able to get a Casio part number or part. I found a couple of shops that were willing to take on the job. But that was completely cost prohibitive. So I sold the WK6500 for probably less than half what it would have been worth in good working order.

I might have been inclined to swap that bad key's rubber contact with another key on the keyboard.   Maybe the last key on either end and make that a dead key.   I know I could live without one of the end keys not working with what I play.    

CTK900

WK7500

8/15/18  

Update:   If you Google for Casio musical instrument parts, there are a number of websites that sell parts.

These people happen to sell the key switch rubber for your model keyboard for a mere  $2.59.  

http://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?sku=91087936128

They also have parts for many other Casio model number keyboards.   They appear to be a great source for parts and the parts are listed with descriptions.    So to everyone visiting here  who owns a Casio and need a source for parts take note,  

• 3 weeks later...