Video Files on Forum ×

What are these rhythms called?

Polka: https://www.bing.com/search?q=Polka+wikipedia&go=Submit+Query&qs=ds&form=QBLH

Tex-Mex: https://www.bing.com/search?q=wikipedia+tex-mex+music&go=Search&qs=ds&form=QBRE

Latin Fusion: https://www.bing.com/search?q=latin+fusion+music+-+definition&go=Search&qs=ds&form=QBRE

You are probably seeing multiple occurrences of them in your song bank because they are not song specific (not easily identified as belonging to a particular song) and are generic enough to be used with any number of different songs.

On the first wav file, the instrumentation, especially the accordion, give it the Tex-Mex flavor, but the oompah effect of the over-powering bass alternating with the very prominent snare beat give it a strong polka feel.  Plus, accordions are synonymous with Polka music.  On the second, a nice jazzy beat with a Latin feel, but the steel drums (pans) give it more of a Caribbean or West Indies flavor than anything.

You asked.  I gave you a simple answer.  So what is the point you are trying to argue ?  The fact that the links have a ".wav" file extension tells me they are audio files.  What bothers me is the fact that you did not know that the .wav file extensions would tell me they are audio files and that if I do not know that, I have no business being on this forum, and that leaves me wondering where you are really coming from on this.  Are you trying to use the CTK-495 Rhythm List as the be-all end-all bible of music genres.  If its not on the CTK-495's Rhythm List it is not a legitimate genre ?  Music genres had their Big Bang at the end of the Miller/Dorsey/Lombardo/Welk era and are still expanding and gaining momentum all the time, and keyboard manufacturers extract from that plasma whatever they think will make their product sell.  It would not surprise me one bit if they even made up a few genres of their own occasionally.

You're probably misunderstanding my question. What I'm after is the name of the rhythms as they appear on a Casio keyboard, if they happen to be present on any. I'm not talking about the genres themselves.

Heck, many other songs on my keyboard use rhythms not on the rhythm list of the LK-43, such as Tango 2 in "Habanera from Carmen", Polka 2 in "Summ Summ Summ", or Chicago Blues in "I've Been Working On The Railroad". But then there are songs on here that don't use a rhythm from even the 100 that appear in the above videos, those being "Sippin' Cider through a Straw" and "Troika" and "Holdiridia", "La Cucaracha", and "Rasa Sayang", respectively.

I have seen that same question on any number of different keyboard forums - "Hey !  I saw this on YouTube !  What is that rhythm called on my XYZ keyboard ?" and the answer is always the same - "Sit down at your keyboard and start auditioning rhythms and let us know what you find out, so we can pass it on to the next guy that asks that question !"  And then, there are those who ARE looking for the be-all and-all bible that tells them what rhythm they MUST use for a given song, and for those, most manufacturers provide their keyboards with Music Databases and One Touch Settings and the like, but for other than a small percentage of songs like Let It Be and Hey Jude and Let It Be Me, that require their original rhythm to sound anywhere near right, these features are just suggestions.  The bottom line rule of thumb is you play what feels good to you and your audience.  You'd be surprised how much zip you can put back into a dance floor by taking a 4/4 beat and adding some swing to it.  The only real rule is whatever works at the time.  Nothing expands your horizons like experimenting.  Most of the 30 to 40 year gigging/busking survivors over on the Yamaha PSR-Tutorial Forum will tell you that they seldom ever use the "original" rhythms provided by the keyboard's Music Data Base or One Touch Settings.  They just go with what  feels right at the time, or with what they have had success with in the past, but back to your original question. Identifying a rhythm from a public source on a particular keyboard is really a formidable task, especially with today's keyboards and their repertoires of hundreds of rhythms.  It is most disappointing when, after hours of searching, you confirm that that particular "sound" (to paraphrase Mr. Miller) is just not on your keyboard.  Believe me.  I've been there.  More than once (I'm a slow learner.), but if those rhythms are on your LK-43, there is every likelihood that they are used on several other models - most likely under different names - manufacturers don't like getting caught duplicating too many rhythms from one model run to another - it is just a matter of finding the right needle in the right haystack.

I would like say, though, that I'm not a professional music maker of any kind. I normally just listen to one of its songs that are on my mind or sometimes just play random keys. I mainly asked this question because of my curiosity. I like to gain knowledge about things I like. I don't ever plan to use this keyboard for any serious things.

You're not wrong, but it's just that what you're saying doesn't apply to me.

Also, if I ever pass off as rude, I don't ever mean to sound that way.