Video Files on Forum ×

Remote operation of an LK keyboard

Casiokid

Hey "Kid" !  Long time - no talk !  It has been quite a while since we had a topic in common here.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube that explain how to download MIDI files from the web and modify them so that they light up the keys on an LK-280, but these guys just modify the MIDI files and put them on an SD Card and plug it into the LK-280's SD Card to play them back with its onboard MIDI File Player.  They make no mention of using MIDI applied to the USB "To Host" port from an external source to light up the keys.  I  pretty much figured that should be possible, but did not want to say anything here until I checked it out.  So, I dug my 15 year old Radio Shack (believe it or not) LK-1261 out of the back of the closet and set it up.  It says Radio Shack in big letters on the case, but when you flip it over, it is stamped "Made by Casio" on the bottom plate.  This thing is a bottom end, bare bones, entry level model that doesn't even have velocity sensitive keys.  There is no USB port, but it does have the old 5-pin-DIN MIDI-IN/OUT ports.  The local Radio Shack store had been stuck with it for over a year, so they had marked it down to $30.  I bought it to noodle around on, while all of our belongings (including my keyboards) were locked up in a moving van in a warehouse while we lived out of a motel room until we could negotiate a closing/occupancy date on this place.  I connected it  to a USB port on my Win-7 laptop with my Yamaha UX-16 5-pin-DIN-to-USB-MIDI adapter, and verified that MIDI data from Sonar would, in fact, light up the keys on the LK-1261, when transmitted on the correct MIDI channel(s).  I then connected my USB-MIDI Class compliant Yamaha PSR-E433 Arranger to another USB port on my laptop, and using Sonar as a MIDI channel translator (Omni receive to Channel-1 transmitting), I verified that the keys on the LK-1261 lit in correct accordance with what I played on the PSR-E433's keys.  I could also start an Auto-accompaniment rhythm on the PSR-E433, and the LK-1261's keys would even light up in accordance with that.  So, if this little old guy can do all that, I think it is safe to say that a top-end LK-280 should be able to do the same. If you decide to get into this, and decide to go with some other model than the LK-280, be sure to check the specs to ensure that it has a USB port (or at least 5-pin-DIN ports).  Not all LK models do.  If you go with 5-pin-DIN ports, you can connect it directly to other devices with 5-pin-DIN ports, but will need an adapter and a "host" translating device (computer, etc.) to connect it to other devices that have only USB 'To Host" ports.

Casio controls key lighting on the LK models with what they call the Navigate Channel, which contains MIDI data for what is the LEFT hand part of a two handed piano performance, while the immediately adjacent, next higher numbered MIDI channel contains MIDI data for the RIGHT hand part.  On the lower priced and older LK models, the Navigate Channel is pre-assigned (unchangeable) to Channel-3 for the LEFT hand part, making Channel-4 the RIGHT hand part.  On the really old models (like the LK-1261) these are fixed at Channels 1 and 2 respectively.  On the newer high-end, and several of the MOTL LK models, like the LK-280, and its predecessor, the LK-270, the Navigate Channel defaults to Channel-3, but is user assignable to any Channel from 1 to 15.  There again, the RIGHT hand channel then goes to the next higher adjacent channel, and that is NOT changeable.  That is, the Right hand channel is not user assignable separate from the Navigate Channel.  This is where at least one of the guys on YouTube did not do his homework research before making his video.  He says you have to modify the MIDI files so that the LEFT part is on Channel-3 and the RIGHT part is on Channel-4.  That is not entirely correct, if you are using an LK-280, LK-270, or one of the other models mentioned above.  You only have to do that, if you do not want to reassign the Navigate Channel on the keyboard.

Good luck and best wishes with this, if you decide to go this route.  You mentioned using it as a training device.  There may be some merit to that, but there is a mountain of disagreement over using key lighting systems for music training.  As for me, I have enjoyed playing around with it to see what all can be done with it, but I am an old-schooler.  When I go to learn a new song, I want the printed dots in front of me on the music rack.  I find that much easier than chasing flashing red lights around a keyboard.

Regards,

Ted

• Like 1

As usual Ted thank you for your very  detailed explanation.  I've learnt quite a lot of what seemingly will be  going on to achieve the shadowing (albeit flashing) of LK notes played remotely by another keyboard

Instead of routing through a laptop or pc I'm wondering if a USB to 5-pin Midi host box might make it possible to couple a keyboard with 5-pin midi directly to the LK USB port ?  Without the need to go through software?

Like you I am too an 'old-schooler' concerning the need for dots but in my old age I am trying to gain a better and natural and visual appreciation for musical intervals a'la tonic solfah in a long term bid to play without the need to rely on dots as some player have a natural ability to do  -which I envy!  Also before the invention of written down music notation in the 11th century musicians didn't play from dots.

With best wishes and health Ted

I am sure that a "Host Box" would give you a connection between the two keyboards, but with Sonar (or just about any DAW software as a MIDI channel translator), I was able to funnel all 16 channels, from the Yamaha keyboard, into channel 1 to the LK-1261 by using Omni mode receiving from the Yamaha.  So, that way I was sure to get something on the LK-1261, but I was getting a light display from all 5 or 6 different Yamaha Auto-accompaniment tracks simultaneously.making it impossible to tell what was playing on each individual track.  So, I could just as well have set Sonar to receive just Channel-10 (the Drum Track) from the Yamaha and route that onto Channel-1 (the Navigate Channel) on the LK-1261 and get a light display for just what was playing on the Drum Track.  Then I could have done that with the Bass Track, or any of the other Auto-accompaniment tracks, or any of the melody tracks, but I am not sure you could get that degree of "fine tuning" on the channel to channel translation with just a "Host Box" and no software.  I suspect the "Host Box" would provide just a "pipe" between the two keyboards with no channel to channel translation.

• Like 1