Video Files on Forum ×

TROPICAL NIGHTS (Original Composition)

One more time I recast an older song of mine because I thought that it could be improved and this is the result. I deleted the old version from my website www.sergiosongs.com.  I hope you enjoy this new version.

While playing w/o accompaniment is still something I need to work on, the rhythm track helps me create melodies, etc., and that's really what I like to do.  Hopefully my piano techniques will improve with time as I continue to struggle. 

Anyway, I like the melody but I didn't think that my prior treatment did it justice.

Reelaaaxing tune, nice vid!👍!

I know you've said you like piano best Sergio, but sometimes these tunes seem to need more. Maybe some trumpet for this one. I don't think I've ever heard a "Sergio" with anything other than piano. Time to branch out, man!😀

Thanks, m10538!  But I LOVE the piano!!!  It's my favorite sound, specially when it's well-played (by someone else, of course).  I don't have a ton of time (I'm 72.5) and besides, what I really like to do is compose, and the keyboard gives me a lot of flexibility.

Where I find limitations, as I mentioned to you before, is in the rhythm factor...  Playing the piano by itself, it's difficult for me, or I just don't know enough, so I struggle.  The keyboard has a lot of rhythms, but many are so obscure that I couldn't do anything with them, and others are too much alike.

I was searching for some way of adding more accompaniments to my keyboard, but the prospect of learning a whole bunch of electronics and stuff to wire it up is too much of a challenge, so I make do.

Now, adding tracks is another thing, but I haven't done much (if any) of it.  I think i added a bass note once while recording to the PC...  I'm not really an arranger, but I can only hope that I could hear my songs properly arranged...

Thanks for the comments!

You have a point, and I DO try to experiment... as I learn...  For example, in this latest song I "layered" a string sound to the piano.  I did that also in "Midnight Waltz", with a heavier sound, maybe too much, I don't know...  I just wish I had more rhythms to choose from...

I have an old song that is kind of a calypso, so I'll play with it and the vibes and see if it sounds OK.  Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

m10538, you've given me some food for thought...  It's been a while since I went through the so-many tones available on the keyboard, so I started going around and playing and there may be something that may work for me.  I'll experiment some more and perhaps work on a popular song that's recognizable and see what new tones might sound like...  Thanks!  Still so much to learn...  Presets, that's another feature that I'm not sure how to use...