Video Files on Forum ×

Eliminate Sequence Pre-Count on Repeat CTK 7200

Fin C

My CTK 7200 inserts a one bar count-in on easy record, song record and pattern record. How do I eliminate these intrusive notes. I cannot find anything in the manual that will allow me to play a four bar sequence on repeat without these appearing despite not using the count in feature when recorded.

I want to use the keyboard as a midi controller and focus on sound design rather than playing keys. The potential of the midi sequencer is huge but there are lots of infuriating blocks in the way

Edited by Fin C
Clarification

You are trying to use the Repeat feature as a sequencer looping function, which you can not do, because of that count-in.  The Repeat feature is intended to be used as a real-time (live play) training aid, hence the count-in.  It can not be defeated.  On the CTK/WK-7XXX models, your looping device is the Pattern Sequencer.  You save the Patterns (loops) you create as User Rhythms.  If you would prefer to work with something with a more linear (song oriented) output, then you need to use Song Sequencer.  Say you want a 4 bar phrase, and you want it to repeat three times, for a total of 16 bars.  Record your initial 4 bar phrase, then copy it three times and save it as a "song".

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

As stated above I tried this in the pattern sequencer (PS) and still had the same result...one bar count in. Are you suggesting it will only loop drum tracks without the count in, as when I use a bass track in the PS  it still counts in. Is there a work around using a dummy note for drums in the drum track and then step input a repeating 4 bar sequence ? Or am I missing a command to finalise the sequence and omit the count-in?

If that is the case

It sounds like I may have to go down the Arturia Keystep route to achieve this (it has an Arp midi function but not the range of Arp types found on the 7200).

Fin

The count-in is an integral function of the Repeat feature for music lesson training purposes, and can not be turned off.  If you record the Repeat feature with either the Song or the Pattern Sequencer the count-in will still be there.  There is a significant difference between Repeat (strictly a training feature) and "looping" (a music creation/production feature).  On the CTK/WK-7XXX models you either select a preset Rhythm, and use the MIXER function to turn off any "Parts" (bass, melodic chords, etc.) that you do not want, or create your own User Rhythm from scratch, then start the Auto-accompaniment and record that Rhythm as a Song, with the Song Sequencer, for the required number of bars, and you are done.  This is pretty much typical of Arranger (One-Man-Bander) keyboards in this price range, if they even offer these features, at all.  I admit, this is not quite as straight forward as the looping features on the Yamaha Motif/MO/MO-XF, or Roland Fantom/FA, or equivalent Korg "workstation" units, but then they do not have Auto-accompaniment sections to contend with, and provide for recording from, and they all run in the $1600 to $2000 USD and up range.  See the following YouTube tutorial, by Mike Martin, on using the Pattern Sequencer for creating your own User Rhythms (loops) from scratch.  He uses the older CTK-7000/WK-7500 models, but the procedure is identical for the newer CTK-7200/WK-7600 units.  He does a complete Rhythm with drums, bass, guitar, and pad parts, but you can stop with just drums, or bass, or drums and bass, or whatever you want.  The Pattern Sequencer does not require you to create or use "complete" five or six part Rhythms (loops).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XbgkppQ5tg

Good luck with this.  After you've done it successfully a few times, the procedure gets to be second-nature pretty quickly.

Regards,

Ted

Again, thanks for your help, will try to use existing rhythms and let you know how I get on with the process. If I can make it a process that fits comfortably with my workflow then as a MIDI compliant device I can play direct into one of my analog synths (using a Kenton USB to MIDI converter) a series of sequences with arps  - it then provides a whole new creative world to explore. I hear you mumble but you can record your sequence in a DAW and then twiddle nobs but thanks to the wonders of polyphony It can be a whole new interactive experience.

Just to let you know. Pattern Sequencer is up and fulfilling the role of a  more "orthodox" step sequencer and working very well. I really like the loop record feature now as you can expand on your original sequence ideas as you record the steps and take your time to listen and refine the melody so 64 steps and upward become much more creative rather than the usual repetitive passages.

The other outstanding feature is the channel count in the sequencers design. I'm now routing separate channels to VST instruments in Ableton and it works a treat. Together with some of its own edited tones, very powerful Arp and sequencer it's beginning to look like the best value master midi keyboard anywhere making a lot of the current best sellers look like toys in comparison.

Once again, many thanks for your help. 

• Like 1

Fin

Thank you for that feedback.  I can never stress enough how important this kind of first-hand feedback is to others, like yourself, who are new to either music creation/production, in general, or to Casio's particular flavor of CTK/WK music creation/production.  As I said in my previous post, after you have done it a couple of times, it quickly becomes second nature, but you have obviously already gone way beyond that.  It is so typically difficult to convince the newcomer to invest the time and effort into something that initially seems to make so little sense and looks so difficult.  This kind of feedback gives us something to point to and say "like this".  I hope you continue to have success and find enjoyment with your endeavors

Again, thank you!

Regards,

Ted

GMS

I do not think that is what Fin is looking for.  Just reducing the count-in volume to zero does not remove the count-in bar and its count-in "notes" from the "Repeated" phrase.  That bar and its "notes" are still there; They're just silent.  Every time the phrase "Repeats", you will have a bar of silence - not what you want, if you are looking for an uninterrupted loop - which is usually what you are looking for, if you are making continuous drum loops.